Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rodent problem

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Sure looks like coons. This time of year they will likely be active in milder nights. They will be mating this time of year. Use a live trap, I bait with cat food pellets, or a can of sardines. Place bait beyond trigger. You may also trap a skunk , or possum. You may catch all the neighborhood cats as well, if you decide to release the cats, give the trap a good shake, they will exit at a high rate of speed, never to be caught again. old243

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Possums are also notorious climbers;
    Possums sleep (during the day) in holes (called dens) above the ground, in hollow tree branches or building ceiling cavities, or at or below ground level. A possum can have several dens and can change dens several times per night.

A farmer a few years ago when I asked about shooting a few groundhogs, told me to kill the possums as they were killing his turkeys, which they are very capable of doing.
    They were attacking the turkeys while they were walking around in broad daylight, they would attach themselves to the turkeys butt end and start chewing away, eating the turkey while it was still alive,I saw this twice while at that farm.
    I have not yet seen a possum or heard of a possum spotted anywhere near us here in Eastern Ontario, not from any of the poultry people, not from any of the other farmers.

I have though dealt with a lot of coons and that is coon poop, no question in my mind.

They are smart buggers but a live trap and some tuna normally gets them.

Pair, if you need a live trap to borrow just PM me, the biggest one is buried in the snow but a shovel will fix that, although the last person that borrowed it for a coon realized it was just a bit too small for the beast that was living at her place, the door would get caught on its butt.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Use marshmallows for bait in live trap and you will only catch coons. Cats, skunks etc. don't seem to be interested in marshmallows.
    Last edited by jlmorgan; March 11th, 2019 at 11:10 AM.
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I have not yet seen a possum or heard of a possum spotted anywhere near us here in Eastern Ontario, not from any of the poultry people, not from any of the other farmers.
    I already told him that but he seems fixated HaHa..

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I already told him that but he seems fixated HaHa..
    I am not sure which one of us he has blocked, ha ha ha.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Lots of possum in the GTA , they have become the #1 road kill around here. I had a live one play dead in my composter last summer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishermccann View Post
    Lots of possum in the GTA , they have become the #1 road kill around here. I had a live one play dead in my composter last summer.
    Mean buggers, ran into them growing up in SW Ontario, but they do not like the cold. With things warming up they will probably move north, following the ticks which they eat a lot of.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Any luck on catching the critter causing the issue?

Had something eating my laying hens last year and it ended up being barn/feral cats.

Guessing from the tracks you have a raccoon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

I have though dealt with a lot of coons and that is coon poop, no question in my mind.

They are smart buggers but a live trap and some tuna normally gets them.

Pair, if you need a live trap to borrow just PM me, the biggest one is buried in the snow but a shovel will fix that, although the last person that borrowed it for a coon realized it was just a bit too small for the beast that was living at her place, the door would get caught on its butt.
    Just because you haven,t seen them , doesn,t mean there are none.

Checklist of the Mammals of the Ottawa District
    MARSUPIALS
    Didelphis virginiana, Virginia opossum: some records close to the District

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Just because you haven,t seen them , doesn,t mean there are none.

Checklist of the Mammals of the Ottawa District
    MARSUPIALS
    Didelphis virginiana, Virginia opossum: some records close to the District
    That is it, the place has been invaded by Sasquatch, just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean there are none.

Seriously, all the farmers around here, all the people out in the bush, all the people driving around, nobody has seen one.

The City of Ottawa has no Opossum listed.

https://ottawa.ca/en/residents/water...tawas-wildlife

All of the animal rescues online will not care for Opossums in Eastern Ontario, except one odd one near Algonquin park, I guess they have not run into any hit on the road.

http://www.ontariowildliferescue.ca/...s/?care=possum

Yes, they may be here but they are covering their movements better than cougars if they are.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast