Thread: Spring Migration Starting

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Spring Migration Starting

Not sure if they were snow geese or tundra swans, but on my way home yesterday there was a field with a huge flock of birds about 500 yards off the road. They easily numbered in the thousands. Spring is on its way!
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Swans have been around here for a few weeks. Robins and red winged blackbirds are back as well....spring is near !

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Started hearing Mourning Doves last weekend!

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lando View Post
    Started hearing Mourning Doves last weekend!
    Many Mourning Doves, like Robins do not migrate, I have had Doves at my bird feeders all winter long. Their numbers have been depressing as the hawks enjoy a tasty treat every now and then.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Many Mourning Doves, like Robins do not migrate, I have had Doves at my bird feeders all winter long. Their numbers have been depressing as the hawks enjoy a tasty treat every now and then.
    Got a pair of doves checking out the old nesting basket already haven't seen them all winter so don't know if they returned or lived else where but nesting activity is starting up. Spring isn't here till the woodcock pass through though.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Same here, we have had upwards of 70 mourning doves around at our feeders, and at the neighbors across the road all winter, as for the Hawks , [Coopers and Sharp Shinned ] they have to eat also, but they mainly get the English Sparrows around here.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Hello Delmer,

I understand that not many snow geese migrate through south western Ontario so if you are in that area the birds may have been Tundra Swans. I saw plenty of Tundra Swans this past weekend at Long Point ... counted over 800 from my kitchen.

Tundra Swans (16 to 18 lbs) are larger than Lesser Snow Geese (about 6 lbs) and you will probably not see Greater Snow Geese in Ontario as they migrate south through Quebec ... down the Saint Lawrence River valley to Montreal and then through Vermont down to the eastern seaboard.

If you see any birds in flight look at the wing tips ... Snow Geese (both types) have black wing tips.

Jerome

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Seen my first Robin on Sunday in Ottawa..
    Mark Snow, Libertarian Nepean, for 2019, Chairman - Ontario Libertarian Party

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Tons of swans around Oxford county this week. They love the big puddles in the cut corn feilds