Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: OOD 2019 BIG GOBBLER FUN CONTEST - Rules and Registration Thread

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default OOD 2019 BIG GOBBLER FUN CONTEST - Rules and Registration Thread

OOD 2019 BIG GOBBLER FUN CONTEST - Rules and Registration Thread

The 2019 spring turkey season is less than 6 weeks away, and now is your chance to sign up. I'm taking over from "tom gobble" who continued on after "hunterdave" - thanks very much to both.

I'm using past rules and scoring, so make sure you read it before entering. There will be a prize pack for the lucky winners, for the highest single score, highest double score (for those who fill two tags), highest rookie score and some random draws.

So far this year we have the following confirmed donations:

1. Custom hand crafted Box Call - donated by OOD member "Dilly" - these things are beautiful, I bought one from him last year, see his pic later in this thread.

2. Turkey Slayer Calls - T-shirt and a truck sticker - https://tscustomcalls.ca/ - thank-you Jason!

3. GobbleStalker Calls - Custom pot call, hat and 2 mouth calls - http://www.gobblestalker.com - thank-you Kevin! I was lucky enough to win this prize a couple years ago, and it is a great pot call that is always in my vest.

4. Bee Saavy Honey -
    Farm Hand Lotion Bars - donated by OOD member Oddmott - https://www.beesavvy.ca/product-page...and-lotion-bar - I bought one this year as my hands were taking a beating during maple syrup season, and its great stuff for dry or chafed skin.

Disclaimer:
    This contest is for FUN only. It is being run by for the members of the ONTARIO OUT OF DOORS Community. It is NOT run by ONTARIO OUT OF DOORS, its affiliates, staff, forum moderators or the O.F.A.H. All questions and concerns regarding this contest or sub-forum should be directed to me by PM on this site. The prizes are a bonus, the bragging rights are enormous, and the fame will follow you for life.......

Contest officially opens April 25 and will be updated regularly. You must be an active community member (with 25 posts minimum) and sign up BEFORE April 25.

SIGN-Up by simply replying to this thread indicating your interest in participating.

Please read the Rules and Scoring Methods before signing up. I will be keeping track of scores and will update a separate thread called 2019 leader board periodically. Contest winners will be announced A.S.A.P.

Also please remember this is a FUN contest. There will be zero tolerance for any flak or nonsense. If you can't play nicely and have fun, you will be removed from the contest, period.

Scores will be determined as follows:

TO ENTER A BIRD IN THE CONTEST YOU MUST POST A MINIMUM OF 3 PICTURES

1. Your first picture MUST SHOW THE BIRD AND WHAT YOU USED TO HARVEST THE BIRD: shotgun, muzzle-loading shotgun, crossbow, compound bow or traditional bow. Bird and firearm used must be clearly displayed in the picture. You may or may not be present in your photo. I encourage you to be in your picture to show off your achievement.

2. Your second picture must show A CLEAR MEASUREMENT IN INCHES OF THE LONGEST SPUR(note: spurs are measured along the outside curvature for longest length)

3. Your third picture must show A CLEAR MEASUREMENT IN INCHES OF THE LONGEST BEARD IN ITS ENTIRETY(note: beards are measured from skin to tip for longest length and must be attached to the bird for at least one of the pictures) I may request a second beard picture with a close up of the measurement. At least one photo must show the entire beard. The longest portion, even if it is only one strand, will be used in the calculation.

This is how the scoring will work
    (Longest Spur Length x 40) + (Longest Beard Length x 5) + (Method of Harvest Bonus) + (Non-Typical Bonus) = Total Score

Method of Harvest Bonus:

Shotgun: 0 points
    Muzzle Loading Shotgun: 3 points
    Crossbow: 5 points
    Compound Bow: 10 points
    Traditional Bow: 15 points

The following conversions may help you with your scores:

1/16 = 0.0625 .............. 2/16 or 1/8 = 0.1250
    3/16 = 0.1875 .............. 4/16 or 1/4 = 0.2500
    5/16 = 0.3125 .............. 6/16 or 3/8 = 0.3750
    7/16 = 0.4375 .............. 8/16 or 1/2 = 0.5000
    9/16 = 0.5625 .............. 10/16 or 5/8 = 0.6250
    11/16 = 0.6875 ............. 12/16 or 3/4 = 0.7500
    13/16 = 0.8125 ............. 14/16 or 7/8 = 0.8750
    15/16 = 0.9375

Typical Bird:

Example: Typical Bird

Beard = 10 1/2" .................................................. ......................... 10.5 x 5 = 52.5
    Longest Spur = 1 1/8"................................................ ................ 1.125 x 40 = 45
    Harvested By Cross Bow .................................................. ............... Bonus = 5

52.5 + 45 + 5 = 102.5 Total Points

Non-Typical Birds

Non-typical birds require all the extra appendages (extra beard/s or spur/s) to be present in photos to get all Non-Typical Bird Bonus Points. If a bird has double spurs on both legs, then the photo must show both legs to get maximum points. If a bird has three beards, then all three beards must be visible in the photo.

Non-Typical Bird Bonus:

8 points per each extra beard
    6 points per each extra spur

Non-Typical Bird Bonus points will be awarded for the presence of the non-typical appendage, not the size of the non-typical appendage. Use longest beard or spur for calculation and then points will be added to the score for each additional non-typical appendage.

Example: Non-Typical Bird with 3 beards:

Beards = 10 1/2" & 4 5/16" & 3 1/2" .................................................. .......... 10.5 x 5 = 52.5
    Spur = 1 3/16" .................................................. ........................................ 1.1875 x 40 = 47.5
    Harvested By Shotgun .................................................. ...................................... Bonus = 0
    Non-Typical Bonus .................................................. .......................................... Bonus = 16

52.5 + 47.5 + 0 + 16 = 116 Total Points

Its also not just about the score, tell us your story! Or post a video of your hunt (have you ever tried to do this, it is waaaay harder than just hunting. Help others learn what worked for you, and for those who can't get out, or haven't got a bird yet, or are stuck at work wishing they were turkey hunting, let them live vicariously through your successful hunt!

Final Note: I need to be able to see the whole beard in the interest of fairness. I may request additional pictures if something isn't absolutely clear. If there is a tie in the scoring, I will put the names in a hat and randomly draw a winner.

If you have any questions or comments feel free to PM me.

Please post your scores and pics on my other thread called (OOD 2019 BIG FUN GOBBLER CONTEST LEADERBOARD - OFFICIAL THREAD TO POST YOUR SCORES AND PICS )

Why not introduce a new hunter to turkey hunting this spring?

Hunt safe, have fun and good luck to all who enter!
    Last edited by Lenny; July 8th, 2019 at 06:18 AM. Reason: added to prizes

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Sign me up please.
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; March 16th, 2019 at 09:44 AM.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Ok my too please and thank you
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Count me in.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I'm in

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Please sign me up also

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

IM IN AND PLEASE SIGN ME UP! its nice to be on the other side again LOL. I just want to say thank you to Lenny for taking this contest over. If there is any way I could help you just send me a PM. Have fun everyone
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Count me in!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Sign me up too please, appreciate you running this.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Please put me in too.

Thanks,

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast