Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Farmer near Perth wants Wolf/Coyote Hunters

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Not likely if you see the above post...
    I can agree that for a one off, or a guy with a hobby farm it would be a lot of work. But for a larger for profit operation it's practical to set up and maintain a permanent composting system.
    A dairy farm I know of has a site at the back of the buildings built with concrete blocks and uses waste from the barns for composting.

Just a question about your community service. Is it legal to use wildlife as bait?
    Would it also be legal to use a sick animal that you dispatched at the quarry?
    Ok two question.
    Ya I guess I am hi-jacking my own thread, but it's a closely tied to my OP.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Ya, I wonder who would ever go out and charge a farmer? I have watched bucket loads of pigs bring dumped over and over again at farms, they just have a pile there, it is visible from the main road.
    A pile visible from the road is not a good idea. Remember how the public reacts every time they find/see a carcass from legally taken game?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    A pile visible from the road is not a good idea. Remember how the public reacts every time they find/see a carcass from legally taken game?
    Farmland in SW Ontario, if someone drives by and sees a pig fall from the top of a loader what are they really going to do?

I agree that keeping things hidden keeps people from having a problem but these are the people do not believe that chickens or turkeys can fly, that chickens are not those birds that lay eggs, that milk does not come from a cow because it is cold and the stuff coming out of a cow is warm (ya, this is real, happened on my uncles dairy farm), you cannot fix stupid.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

So you're asking if it's OK to look the other way and take advantage of something illegal if it's in your best interest as a hunter...?
    These views would be why a landowner/farmer would not want to let people use their property. Farmer/landowner does everything right and legal. Then has to worry that the people "helping" him/her with wildlife management on his/her property, perceive or thinks the farmer/landowner is not following the rules. You call the authorities to investigate. What a waste of time for farmer/landowner. Report the dead cow /sheep on his/her property to the farmer, pretty simple. Without reading all the laws and recommendations it would be hard to determine if a farmer/landowner was doing anything wrong or right. The right to farm covers quite the spectrum. If your mindset is to police the farmer/landowner I would suggest you stick to your own land
    Last edited by Hardman; April 6th, 2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hardman View Post
    These views would be why a landowner/farmer would not want to let people use their property......If your mindset is to police the farmer/landowner I would suggest you stick to your own land
    Very well said.
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Makes a moral conflict for hunters. Do you report a dead cow/sheep on a farm where you are only by the grace of the owner, or do you look the other way.
    So you're asking if it's OK to look the other way and take advantage of something illegal if it's in your best interest as a hunter...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardman View Post
    If your mindset is to police the farmer/landowner I would suggest you stick to your own land
    So in answer to Snowalker's question...you wouldn't turn in the illegal activity..stick with the 'mind you own business' philosophy...

Then to the question I asked; do you as a hunter then 'ethically' still hunt over the illegally dumped carcasses ?
    Last edited by MikePal; April 6th, 2019 at 03:07 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Just pointing out the conflict. Not saying to or asking if it's ok.

There is also the question, did the farmer dump the animal there or does he know an animal is missing and just has not found and retrieved it yet?
    So in answer to Snowalker's question...you wouldn't turn in the illegal activity..stick with the 'mind you own business' philosophy...

Then to the question I asked; do you as a hunter then 'ethically' still hunt over the illegally dumped carcasses ?
    Mike it's just the same old thing. Person reads a month( or more old) thread by skimming over the posts and cherry picks something out of context.

To summarize:
    Mikepal: are you asking if hunters should be a party to illegal actions?

Snowwalker: No, pointing out a moral conflict, and farmer may or may not know he has a dead animal.

Hardman: What do you guys think you are the farm NAZI'S?

As you can see Mike his first and only post in the thread is totally out of context to the messages he replied to.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

At the farms I know and the few I have helped with on and off over the years. I the Spring, Summer or Fall we bury them, but in the winter they might sit for a while. Until there is more than 1. Cost to have them picked up went from 100 to 300 for the first and 100 for each after that. Since I have some basic understanding of how a dairy farm works and some general ideas of the regulations, I'm never concerned. None of the farmers I know are poaching deer or anything so what they do with their farm animals is not my business, OK sometimes it is when I am still asked to come by and put down a injured cow.

Oh and use 22 solid lead bullets not the hollow points or hyper velocity. With the solid yup one shot the odd time 2 with the hollows way to many.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234