Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boat insurance a must?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

If you're sailing to Great Britain in a 10K boat, you need life insurance, not boat insurance!
    Well, I thought that it's common here to abbreviate Georgian bay as GB...

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa_Rob View Post
    I have insurance on my bowrider from a dedicated marine insurer. The quote from RBC was almost double the other vendor.

Not sure if I can name them here but I can let you know if you want to call for a quote.
    Rob, if you think it's not allowed to name it here could you please PM it to me? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Mark, I sent you the info.

Robin

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I considered this topic is over but have to come back to it as I just found out that for my little boat (16' aluminum utility boat with 20hp motor) the cheapest insurance I could find is $255 plus tax. It kind of sucks because as I understand from this thread most people have it around $150 for bigger and more expensive boats. I called about 5-6 companies and the cheapest one I got is from my home/car insurance company which is not specialized on the marine insurance. All other gave me $350-450/year.
    I know, $100 is not a big deal for a year but I would spend it for something more interesting than insurance.
    Am I missing something?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    I considered this topic is over but have to come back to it as I just found out that for my little boat (16' aluminum utility boat with 20hp motor) the cheapest insurance I could find is $255 plus tax. It kind of sucks because as I understand from this thread most people have it around $150 for bigger and more expensive boats. I called about 5-6 companies and the cheapest one I got is from my home/car insurance company which is not specialized on the marine insurance. All other gave me $350-450/year.
    I know, $100 is not a big deal for a year but I would spend it for something more interesting than insurance.
    Am I missing something?
    Have you tried calling a broker in cottage country who specializes in boat insurance? Try calling Hudson Henderson Insurance out of Minden.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks! Will try tomorrow.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123