Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow Hunting Legalization

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Crossbow Hunting Legalization

Here's an interesting question a friend was looking for the answer to - Google didn't return any results, so I thought some of the fine folks here might have an answer...

What year was crossbow use for hunting legalized in Ontario?

Thanks!
    I just hunt...

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Did they ever define a crossbow as anything other than a bow in Ontario?

If they considered it a bow then it was probably never illegal to use, even now the general gun season allows bows in most WMUs, you just have to wear orange, the special bow only seasons are what is relatively new.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Did they ever define a crossbow as anything other than a bow in Ontario?
    That was my thinking, I don't remember Ontario never differentiated them from the MNR definition of 'bow/archery'.
    One of the few things they ever did right
    Last edited by MikePal; March 21st, 2019 at 04:23 PM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Can't tell you when, but I started hunting with a crossbow in 1987. If I remember correctly it cost an additional $1 for the archery option on your deer tag back then. Can't remember when they did away with the extra charge though....
    So many critters & so little time to hunt......

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I hunted WMU 23 bow season with a Barnett crossbow in 82 or 83.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I believe I bought my first crossbow from Daco (?) Archery in New Market and that was 78 or 79 I believe. I used to ride my bike with the crossbow in the dark to go bow hunting. I was young and crazy but had fun - lol.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I moved to Ontario in 1989 and some of the people I hunted with said crossbows had been leagal since they were hunting so at least the 1970's. In NB and NS, PEI Crossbows are illegal for hunting they are considered a poachers tool.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Wouldn't want to get old in those provinces or have a physical disability such that you can't shoot a vertical bow.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Crossbows for hunting in Ontario has never been illegal. They were always included in the regulations as "Archery" equipment.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I moved to Ontario in 1989 and some of the people I hunted with said crossbows had been leagal since they were hunting so at least the 1970's. In NB and NS, PEI Crossbows are illegal for hunting they are considered a poachers tool.
    2016 they legalized cross bows here, N. B.. Draw loc for compound bows are now legal too. Lol, just found out yesterday. Extra three weeks with the bow for deer.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast