Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow Hunting Legalization

Leads by example

User Info Menu

A bunch of US states are finally legalizing crossbows, I wonder what the ratio of compound users to crossbow users are here in Canada. I suspect the US are still mostly compounds but the crossbows must be making ground
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

In some such provinces someone too infirm to use a bow may use a crossbow with a doctor's endorsement.
    That was the law in Alberta when I lived there.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Charlie View Post
    In some such provinces someone too infirm to use a bow may use a crossbow with a doctor's endorsement.
    That was the law in Alberta when I lived there.
    Common in lots of places now. Just like shooting from your vehicle. Able bodied is illegal, but not for handicapped with permit.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I can remember paying the buck for bow tag and using cross bow back in mid to late 60's. Still have the cross bow, but would be scared to fire it now. I wouldn't be able to pull a compound now, so would only be able to use crossbow.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I moved to Ontario in 1989 and some of the people I hunted with said crossbows had been leagal since they were hunting so at least the 1970's. In NB and NS, PEI Crossbows are illegal for hunting they are considered a poachers tool.
    PEI has no big game to hunt anyhow,no deer/moose/bear etc...the biggest game on PEI is coyotes and only relatively recently(1990s?) since they made their way across Northumberland Strait on ice flows.
    Crossbows been legal in NS since I’m gonna guess around 2008-ish?
    NS allowing x-bows sparked a hotly debated controversy to allow x-bows in NB,and in 2011NB made xbows legal for general firearms seasons but not for the 3 week archery only deer season which precedes the 4 week firearm season.
    2016 NB caved and allowed bows for the archery only season as well.
    No small coincidence that in NB between 2011 and 2015 when xbows were allowed in the NB woods for the first time ever,the WT Deer “archery” harvest TRIPLED from historic average,as Xbows were allowed in early October for small game and bear hunting,but not legal for archery deer.Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that guy’s were legally carrying xbows for small game/bear and illegally killing deer with them and registering their poached deer as legit archery kills.
    In Alberta,where I’ve now lived since 2011,xbows are allowed during General Firearm seasons but not during Archery Only seasons without an affidavit from physician for Disabled permit....as it should be imho.
    We’ve already lost many opportunities in Alberta just in the 8 years I’ve been here for OTC archery only tags for Antlered Mule Deer and Moose in many units with bowhunters being “too successful” cited as the reason for these OTC Archery hunts going on draw.If xbows were recognized and legal here for archery only,guaranteed we would lose the remaining few WMUs that still allow OTC Archery moose and mulies in just a few short years.
    Last edited by Grinr; July 14th, 2019 at 11:30 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grinr View Post
    xbows are allowed during General Firearm seasons but not during Archery Only seasons without an affidavit from physician for Disabled permit....as it should be imho.
    Why should you not be able to use a crossbow? It does not increase your range over a compound bow. You can say there is an advantage of not having to hold at full draw but with 80% let off bows you are not really holding much back, a 50lb compound with an 80% let off at full draw is less fatigue on the arms than a 6lb crossbow without a rest.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Why should you not be able to use a crossbow? It does not increase your range over a compound bow. You can say there is an advantage of not having to hold at full draw but with 80% let off bows you are not really holding much back, a 50lb compound with an 80% let off at full draw is less fatigue on the arms than a 6lb crossbow without a rest.
    I think most of it has to do with bow hunters not wanting to share public land with all the extra hunters that would be in the bush at the same time if crossbows were allowed. The compound bows are getting better and better all the time and easier to draw as well. At what point are they no longer an archery tool? When they put a scope on it?
    Last edited by cantgetright; July 15th, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetright View Post
    I think most of it has to do with bow hunters not wanting to share public land with all the extra hunters that would be in the bush at the same time if crossbows were allowed.
    Yep, greed.

It would be easy enough for traditional hunters to go off on compound hunters, I mean, it is too easy to use cams and sights to shoot an animal, it is not sporting, force them into the general gun hunt

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I don't think it can be argued that xbows don't increase hunter success rates. They do. Increased success rates = decrease in opportunity.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    I don't think it can be argued that xbows don't increase hunter success rates. They do. Increased success rates = decrease in opportunity.
    Agreed. But you man are like a stick bow GOD!! Us lesser men need all the help we can get. Seriously though your posts make me salivate. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Species8472; July 15th, 2019 at 05:56 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast