Thread: Older Victor Conibears

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Older Victor Conibears

I just got some older "1st generation" victor conibears off an older trapper. They are basically perfectly square traps with no unique bends at the corners like most other style body gripping traps. I'm sure they will work fine but I am just wondering if anyone has any of these and if they are a decent quality trap?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I personally haven't had very good luck with the larger 220, 280, and 330 Victor/Oneida/Woodstream conibears. I do like their Soft Catch footholds after you modify the frames with a stick welder. I find that their body-grippers have weak springs when compared to other brands like LDL, Belisle, and Sauvengeau. Must be the alloy of steel they use, or how they heat treat the springs during construction. Within a couple years use the springs are so weak I can set them by hand. Not a good humane strike on the animal and in the case of beaver you get rub damage on the back of the neck. If the previous owner left the traps stored with compressed springs they'll be even weaker. Always unload the springs when not in use. You can't beat the price ! (free) but I'd pull using them if the springs are weak or you see signs of an inhumane catch. You can order new replacement springs if they are weak.
    Last edited by Fenelon; March 25th, 2019 at 01:45 PM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

If they are 220 old ones and you trap rats,i found removing one spring they make great for them baited.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

My conibears , are older style, 110 and 330, I had good luck with them. Most of my sets were , drown sets. So not much opportunity for poor hits. old243