Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing with Ball

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post
    Seemed like it liked the lead to be a little hotter and keep the mold hotter as well.
    I had Pancake breakfast this morning back in the Sugar bush with an old bullet maker. I mentioned the aluminum mold vs brass and he said that once you figure out the rhythm and timing then you won't notice the change much.

I have to make up a batch of .58 Minies with my brass mold soon. I hope they'll fly better than the ones I bought.
    Last edited by MikePal; April 6th, 2019 at 10:46 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Recovered one of the .45 balls after it dented the propane tank at 100yd....it's amazing the amount of deformation the soft lead goes thru even with the energy curve diminished.

Last edited by MikePal; April 9th, 2019 at 06:11 AM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Wow Mike, looks like there is lots of energy left at 100 yds.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I tried something new today to sight on targets with front beads and open sights.

I have to wear glasses for shooting now and it's a problem trying to see thru the top extreme left hand corner of the lens and still see the target clearly. Unfortunately it doesn't work well and for the most part I'm shooting blind at a target that is behind the bead.

So I cut a Pyramid type contrast and laid it over the target, so now I can raise the front bead till it touches the sides just below the peak. Allows me to see both the front bead and bracket the target at the same time.

Makes a far more consistent point of aim. This was the first try this aft and I'm pleased, Still haven't found the ideal load for this rifle, this was 50 gr of FFFg Goex and is getting closer to what I'm after..

(.45 Kentucky Rifle with barrel rest)

Last edited by MikePal; April 12th, 2019 at 12:52 PM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Yer makin smoke and havin fun Mike...........................Daniel

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post
    Yer makin smoke and havin fun Mike...........................Daniel
    Your right, having a smoking good time !! I've exploded thru almost 2 lbs of powder in the past couple of weeks figuring out the Maxi Ball conical and Patch/Ball loads. I should have the load for the sabot/ball figured out in the next couple of days now that I have a more consistent point of aim.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm Happy with this new way of aiming...much better sight picture and easier to hold the point of aim. I was shooting high yesterday so I lowered it ..but a tad to much.

I think I found the 'Happy Load" for the sabot and ball : )

40 gr of FFFg Goex.
    50yds

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

That looks like a good idea. I think I would try the V at the top. Most of my rifles are sighted 2.5” high at 100 yd.
    Cant wait to shoot the muzzleloader.
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; April 12th, 2019 at 04:44 PM.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12