Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to do waterfowl this year

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    Smartest thing OP did was get his wife involved. Much easier to acquire gear when the missus is actually doing the activity with you.
    But now he has to buy two of everything. HALF of which does not fit him if she decides it's not for her.

Buying gear for Karen was the worst. At 5' 1" and a grown woman, there was always something that was almost impossible to find. Neoprene Waders for example.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

To start off for waterfowl I didn't have much other than my shotgun I purchased a month before, prior to that the last time I hunted geese and duckys was when lead was legal. You don't need much to start a shotgun and a place that has ducks or geese.

We shot them mostly just flying over us. I waited and bought a 6 pack of geese in the US for 30 bucks Canadian. I made a dozen silhouettes later bought a goose call. We always managed to shoot geese usually 30 - 40 a season, not as many now as for some reason they no longer come by here as much. When Logan was only 6 we would lay down in the field no camo just hiding in the grass or in the ditch and when they came in low I fired.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
    Couldn't help but laugh at the reality of this statement! Lol. Diver hunting is near and dear to my heart.
    Does this mean you're geared up for diver hunting? Have shells, will travel.

I'm willing to exchange the use of your gear for hours of mildly entertaining banter. You don't come across offers like that every day.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by benjhind View Post
    You don't come across offers like that every day.
    Trust me, I do!
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

All the posts so far is good advice but your question of "how to get started" is like opening Pandora's Box. LoL ! Start with your basic gear. Gun[s] ; are the suitable for waterfowling ? Screw in chokes ? Can they safely shoot Steel shot or some other kind of Non-Toxic shot ? Clothing and /or waders ? As stated buy oversize and don't buy cheap ! Nothing more miserable then being cold and wet and duckless. Calls ? As stated "no calling better than bad calling" but how else will you learn right ? I was told that no two duck calls [even same make ] make the same sound so needless to say no two callers will sound the same either. There are plenty of affordable calls to choose from so I say buy a couple and practice , practice, practice ! I've been practicing for fifty years, LoL ! Again as stated waterfowling can be a hazardous sport. That being said I would recommend finding a mentor/local hunter/local hunt club or go out with a professional guide. The latter not being cheap but it is their job to make sure you have a successful and safe experience. Waterfowl hunting was once explained to me as ; if I have to explain it to you ; you would never understand it.
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12