Thread: Decoy trick, Thoughts?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Decoy trick, Thoughts?

I almost always keep my hen decoy in the ground with no stake and full strut Tom right behind her to make it look like they are going to breed.

I've definitely seen turkeys heads turn colour when they are close and thinking about trying this. Although I cant say my current set up has spooked birds, they usually come running when they see the stutter but hear my soft yelps and purrs

https://youtu.be/ClbwfIYjdkE

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have a breeding hen decoy that is basically the same thing. I put my strutter close by. It works well.....usually early season.
    After a couple weeks, they stay in the truck ..

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great tip. I have a DSD breeding hen and usually place a half strut jake behind. Might try the white paint, might trigger those big Toms.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip!!, Going to have to try that this year.
    "No one's interested in something you didn't do"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

A strutter with a real jake tail and a breeding hen were my opening day plan. But I had no idea that head colour might matter.
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Did that last year for the boy's opening day Tom, worked very well...

TurkeyJohn

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I have done similar set-up........drive the hen steak deeper into the ground she she sits lower and then have a jake about 3' behind like he is closing on on her and then another hen 10' in front of these two.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I like to use a single feeding hen ..... couple of light yelps and purrs ... then shut up , be still and get ready to shoot . Toms can't stand being ignored... Also put the deke in close for those birds that like to hang up at 40 plus yards .... Remember turkey hunting is about "How close ..Not how far " Good Luck and Play Safe !
    Glen