Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Choosing Fishfinder

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Help Choosing Fishfinder

I have 2 older Humminbird units (Wide Eye and 525) that no longer work properly, so I am looking for a replacement. The technology has evolved so much that I can't really decide what I need/want. I am looking for a modestly priced unit (~$300), as it will only be used 3 or 4 weeks a year.
    I fish Lake Muskoka for pickerel and smallmouth, and some downrigging for lake trout. Any advice as to features, brand etc. would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would look at the Humminbird Helix models. I had one and loved it. I, for reasons that escape me now, sold it and went with a Lowrance. I hate it. Way more complicated to use in my opinion. I’ll be going back to Humminbird.....

https://www.fishfinders.info/humminb...-si-gps-review
    Last edited by rick_iles; April 20th, 2019 at 01:28 PM.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Would a portable finder suit your needs? I have also found huminbirds to be much more intuitive as well. You should be able to find last year's units reduced in price to move them out. You might also find a brand other than the big two might give you better bang for your buck but I haven't used any.
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I have a Helix 5 portable ( no chirp ) and it works great .

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the input. A portable would work, although I set up the Wide-Eye (which came with a suction cup transducer mount) and the 525 essentially as portable. I mounted them on a base which I bungeed to the seat of my boat - 12' tinnie - and that made it easy to set up/take down. I found the Humminbirds to be pretty intuitive to operate, so the comment in regarding Lowrance is appreciated. I manage to work with electronics, but have little patience for equipment that comes with a steep learning curve. I will definitely take a look at the Helix line.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

For an option for the transducer a "L" bracket attached to the end of a 1 by 2 works well. Just use a C clamp to mount the 1x2 to the transom.
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

My friend just got the helix and it looks great and functions pretty easy
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaegaren View Post
    I have 2 older Humminbird units (Wide Eye and 525) that no longer work properly, so I am looking for a replacement. The technology has evolved so much that I can't really decide what I need/want. I am looking for a modestly priced unit (~$300), as it will only be used 3 or 4 weeks a year.
    I fish Lake Muskoka for pickerel and smallmouth, and some downrigging for lake trout. Any advice as to features, brand etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    Good deal https://www.cabelas.ca/product/93670...si-sonargps-g2

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have a helix 7 with DI and GPS.. honestly I never use the DI but the ability to make your own maps with the Autochart live is a game changer.. I regret not springing for the Side imaging as I think I would use that more.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I had a Helix 5 chirp Down Imaging on my boat last year, until someone needed it more than me. But like you never needed the down imaging. It was cool but not necessary, I finally ordered a new one and opted to go with the standard 2D chirp, ordered it from SAIL and signed up for VIP to get 50 bucks off for my purchase and free shipping. It was 508 total with tax and Navionics+ card was included (you want the navionics) Great unit
    It was delivered within 3 days
    Fish wait for no man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast