Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New hunter (in Toronto) looking for a mentor

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonM View Post
    I appreciate what you're saying, and I respect that you're self taught, but I'd rather wait until I can find someone with experience to help me out than go out an make a mistake. The last thing I would want to do is break a law, get injured, or worse, injure someone else accidentally, or wound an animal and not have the skills or knowledge to pursue it and leave it to die slowly. Field dressing and butchering is another aspect I need to learn, because I'd hate to waste the meat. There's only so much I think I can learn from reading and watching youtube, and while I could go out on my own and learn through trial and error, I'd prefer to learn from someone else's experience and do it the right way from the start.
    I agree with you its always nice to have someone show you the ropes , but somethings you have to learn and understand on your own. Safety is your first priority , you don't need someone to let you know if its safe or not. Don't let other people make those decisions for you. Trust your own judgment , you will know when to take a shot or not. No one wants to injure an animal but it does happen. Thats the ugly side of hunting that no one wants but we try our best to use good judgment and avoid those scenarios . There are good people on this forum that I have met and I hope some people can give you some insight and guidance . Stick around and participate on the forum and let people get to know you. Ask questions and possibly someone might help you out. Im learning things all the time, I don't think Ill ever stop learning something new and a lot of that learning is from forums like this.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I'm also in the same boat and would like to find a mentor... but probably be tough, a lot of hunter and hunt camps are very tight group of people

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Very well said , I agree with you ,

( HunGJaI Also I am willing to write you ,

if you have a question about hunting ....)

"HunGJaI" What does mean your name ....?

Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    I agree with you its always nice to have someone show you the ropes , but somethings you have to learn and understand on your own. Safety is your first priority , you don't need someone to let you know if its safe or not. Don't let other people make those decisions for you. Trust your own judgment , you will know when to take a shot or not. No one wants to injure an animal but it does happen. Thats the ugly side of hunting that no one wants but we try our best to use good judgment and avoid those scenarios . There are good people on this forum that I have met and I hope some people can give you some insight and guidance . Stick around and participate on the forum and let people get to know you. Ask questions and possibly someone might help you out. Im learning things all the time, I don't think Ill ever stop learning something new and a lot of that learning is from forums like this.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HunGJaI View Post
    I'm also in the same boat and would like to find a mentor... but probably be tough, a lot of hunter and hunt camps are very tight group of people
    Helps if guys know what your looking to get into.

Then there is the guy that gets tunnel vision. He wants to hunt deer nothing else for example. Gets offers to go out for grouse, rabbit or squirrel but turns them all down, so he gets little or no time in the woods. You want to hunt deer. Hunting Squirrels will teach more about moving through the woods in one season, then a pile of seasons trying to sneak up on deer.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12