Thread: Osprey and ducklings...

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Osprey and ducklings...

Will they prey on them?

Was fishing at the camp.. tried a small bay on consecutive mornings. Saw a hen mallard with a brood the 1st. She only had 2-4 left. They were young.
    2nd morning same bay, there's 2 hens kicking up a fuss. No young. I dunno if these were two different hens or if one was from the morning prior and she lost the rest. There is an active Osprey nest overlooking the bay. Got me thinking... In the past I had never even considered it. I don't see why they wouldn't?

Anyone ever witnessed it or otherwise know firsthand?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They are a bird of prey..

Eagle eat Birds, Mammals, and Fish. No reason Osprey can't eat Fish, Mammals and Birds.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Pike and snapping turtles will also eat young ducklings, so will gulls , have seen this happen on a friends farm pond.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Pike and snapping turtles will also eat young ducklings, so will gulls , have seen this happen on a friends farm pond.
    This is much more likely ... an osprey's diet is 99% fish, there is a reason they are referred to as the "fish hawk", if fish are available, that is all they eat. Pike, bass, snappers, and storms are the biggest killers of little ducks after hatch ... seems to me the coons are a big killer of them before hatch.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gadwall View Post
    This is much more likely ... an osprey's diet is 99% fish, there is a reason they are referred to as the "fish hawk", if fish are available, that is all they eat. Pike, bass, snappers, and storms are the biggest killers of little ducks after hatch ... seems to me the coons are a big killer of them before hatch.
    Exactly !