Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F'n TICKS

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default F'n TICKS

Hunting NE of Belleville I have noticed in the last 5 years an increase in the number of ticks I am pulling off my cloths during and after my hunts, with the worst of it being during deer hunting in November.

This weekend was the first I had been in the turkey woods (amazing how having a 2 +3 year old screws with hunting time lol) and OMG everywhere I went I ended up covered in ticks. Friday afternoon I had 4 Deer ticks and 1 Dog tick. During the Saturday morning hunt I had 3 on my pants and when I walked out of the bush I had taken another 6 deer ticks off and 1 Dog tick.
    Things that fly turn me on

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Yep....this weekend on a farm where I have never seen ticks I pulled one off my neck (it was crawling up my neck). Definitely been getting worse over the last 5+ years.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They're spreading east fast if you're seeing them like that in the Belleville area. It used to be only s/w Ont that had it like that.

We still don't have 'too' many here (Ottawa Area) but I guess it's just a matter of time. I guess I have to get into the habit of spraying down everything that goes outside with Ultra Shield.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Ticks are definitely part of the reason I don’t hunt turkeys anymore. Plunking your butt on the ground for hours makes you very vulnerable to them. I blame Trudough for them......lol.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

This is one of the reasons I limit my hunts to the first 2 weeks & the walleye fishing is usually on fire as well... lol

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I take the boy with me now and I've been threatened with doing a thorough tick check after we come in from the turkey woods....Couple of things we do that has helped with the ticks, none so far, we spray the crap out of everything we're wearing with her Avon Bug spray, surprisingly effective, that and we use the turkey lounger seats with the backs so we aren't right on the ground or against anything...So far, so good anyway,

TurkeyJohn

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Spray your clothes, vest, chair, blind etc with permethrin. I’ve been doing that for several years, not seen one tick....those things creep me out !!!!!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=perme...&client=safari
    Last edited by rick_iles; May 13th, 2019 at 09:57 AM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Spray your clothes, vest, chair, blind etc with permethrin. I’ve been doing that for several years, not seen one tick....those things creep me out !!!!!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=perme...&client=safari
    i don't know why more people don't know about permetherin. its on every board that discusses ticks.

while i've never actually seen a tick or had one on me for that matter i despise things crawling on me. i use the ultra x shield 0.5% permetherin (tsc stores) at the recommendation of previous research and posts on our forum. Makes you smell citrusy but i don't care about that for turks. in a week or two the smell is gone but the chemical is still working. also tuck my base layer into socks and shirt into pants.
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

Apprentice

User Info Menu

They found the first in York region in Richmond hill. They are heading north as well. .

Is there not a spray to help control them ? Or would it wipe out all the other insects as well. I know they spray for the mosquitos in our area they were flying around the last few weeks spraying.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I was bit by a tick last year, carrying a canoe through the bush. Felt what a thought was a scab under my arm pit. Looked in the mirror saw a spider thing, said to the wife is this a tick in my arm ?!! Sure enough it was, had to go get the pills to make sure I didn't get lyme. I live close to Peterborough, and saw one crawling up my leg the other day. That one didn't get me, but just crazy.

Permetherin is linked to cancer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast