Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Scope Okay?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Is this Scope Okay?

Last fall I shot a nice boar with my 35 Whelen and while descending the rise where i had hidden I slipped, fell and landed hard on the rifle and scope. I cleaned the gun up an put it away but made a note to closely inspect and test the optics this spring. Visual inspection revealed no damage other than the expected cosmetic scratches. Today I took it to the camp and set up at 100 yards off of a rest. First shot was 12 inches off zero. I took a second shoot without adjusting to see if the rounds would group and they did (about 1 inch apart) made the adjustments to move it about half way back to zero and fired 2 more rounds. The second set of rounds grouped as well and moved the appropriate amount towards the point of aim. I than made another set of adjustments and fired 4 rounds and all hit within 0.5 inch of the point of aim.

My question is, can a scope get that far out of whack from an impact and still be able to hold zero i.e be functionally undamaged? or should i be worried that the zero i just set will drift even though it seemed to hold for those 4 rounds.

In case it matters the scope is a Swaro Z3.
    Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt emus
    Cave ab homine unius libri

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

It might be OK, but I wouldn't want to find out at the worst possible time that it drifted again. Personally I would send it back to Swaro warranty and explain what happen. Better be safe than sorry. Good Luck
    "When you piss in the wind, you will get your feet wet."
    Deer Hunter

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Scopes get knocked off zero all the time. Based on how yours tracked while being adjusted it’s fine. Quality glass, no worries.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Buddy of mine'knocked"off his scope more then 12 "just by driving ATV with the rifle sloppily thrown on the bike.
    Missed a great buck( i saw the whole spiel )at 50 yards.
    Readjusted,and lives happily ever after......the buck lives too.........

Now-this was "that"scope.
    If it repeats and takes adjustments should be fine.

I can take it off Your hand ,maybe even pay a little disposal fee for it.................
    Last edited by gbk; May 16th, 2019 at 11:31 AM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

You have a tire with a nail in it and your going to Florida. Do you fill it full of air and it doesn’t leak so you drive or do you fix it proper and drive.

Some people take more chances then others. Some people miss more bucks do to crappy tools.

Possibly bent scope tube.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    Possibly bent scope tube.
    or the mounts or rings shifted..12" at 100 is not a huge amount of defection with a scope.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Well Iíll throw in my two cents.

It could very well be the rings/bases that got tweaked.
    Iíd check them.

I guess Iím a stickler for this type of issue. Alignment issues like that at 100 yards are ok but they are going to bite you at 200 and on.

If it shoots well at 50/100/200/300 all is well.

My two cents.
    Last edited by Big Jack; May 16th, 2019 at 02:30 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Mike you beat me to it!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I'd keep shooting it during range sessions to see how it responds. If you notice a problem with drift or tracking, then send it in for a warranty claim. I've never had such a shift in POI, but I've never had a serious impact to my scopes.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Last fall I shot a nice boar with my 35 Whelen and while descending the rise where i had hidden I slipped, fell and landed hard on the rifle and scope. I cleaned the gun up an put it away but made a note to closely inspect and test the optics this spring. Visual inspection revealed no damage other than the expected cosmetic scratches. Today I took it to the camp and set up at 100 yards off of a rest. First shot was 12 inches off zero. I took a second shoot without adjusting to see if the rounds would group and they did (about 1 inch apart) made the adjustments to move it about half way back to zero and fired 2 more rounds. The second set of rounds grouped as well and moved the appropriate amount towards the point of aim. I than made another set of adjustments and fired 4 rounds and all hit within 0.5 inch of the point of aim.

My question is, can a scope get that far out of whack from an impact and still be able to hold zero i.e be functionally undamaged? or should i be worried that the zero i just set will drift even though it seemed to hold for those 4 rounds.

In case it matters the scope is a Swaro Z3.
    Before you send the scope in for an expensive repair,simply change the mounts and try to zero the scope. If your shots are right on,then,you know the problem was with mounts from impact of being dropped. Process of elimination is the way I'd go,first.
    I like my firearms like Liberals like voters-----undocumented.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast