Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotcha! Finally, down he goes.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default Gotcha! Finally, down he goes.

I have been trying to get this particular tom for awhile now. He was predictable but very cautious possibly because my daughter shot his buddy. I had noted he seemed to come out into the field in the same spot every morning, so i tried setting up on him yesterday. Sure enough, I saw him fly down, walk through the bush and out into the field where he did as usual. Strut for a half hour, gobble like a fool, but remain out of range. He eventually returned to the bush and circled in behind me, never closing the distance.

Today, I figured I would ambush him. I set up perilously close to his roost tree and tried to be as quiet as possible. I sat with my gun right on the spot he would walk through and put a hen decoy wayyyy out in the field for him to look at. He started gobbling on the roost like clockwork. He flew down and continued gobbling on the ground. I heard hens yelping, so I gave out a few soft clucks trying not to over-do it. For a minute, I thought they were going to go the opposite direction, but then, a dark figure appeared at the "doorway". It was a hen and she froze solid staring out at the decoy. A second hen appeared behind her and after what seemed like forever, seemed to become impatient with the waiting and pushed past her. Then, old red white and blue noggin stepped out spitting and drumming. I waited for the hens to clear, and bowled him over at 25 yards.

He looked a bit ratty after tumbling down a dewy grass embankment. Big bird though...21lbs 2oz. Second tag punched and the smoker will be coming out.

Beat the bugs this year. Good luck to those still out there.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

WTG congrats persistence paid off

Member for Life

User Info Menu

"I sat with my gun right on the spot he would walk through and put a hen decoy wayyyy out in the field for him to look at."

That tactic has worked for me many a times...especially with a Tom that likes to hang up...good hunting !!

Congrats !!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice bird congrats
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Congrats,WTG.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Good story, nice hunt
    congrats
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Great bird and congrats on nailing your target Tom!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Well played!
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Well done! Congrats
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Nice bird and a great story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast