Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seed supplier for wildlife food plots

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Seed supplier for wildlife food plots

Finally I have all the required equipment for putting in some deer/turkey food plots but am having a hard time finding a good seed supplier. The local Agrico and Co-ops only have full 25kg bags of seed and I don't feel like paying $200+ for just one type of seed. You can buy small quantities (by the pound) of generic white clover, double cut red clover, and alfalfa at Agrico, but it's not inoculated seed. Looked at Mapleseed's " Nature's Choice" but saw a big red flag when it listed sudan grass as one of the included species in the mix. The stuff will kill my wife's horses so I better pass on it! Rack Stacker doesn't even divulge what's in their mix, even if you go to their website. The price of BioLogic and other commercial mixes is ridiculous.
    Does anyone have any leads on a seed supplier that will sell seed in small amounts (up to 4kg) ? I'm in the Peterborough - Lindsay area.
    Would like to put in:
    Ladino white clover (inoculated seed)
    alfalfa (inoculated)
    double cut red clover (inoculated)
    rape
    possibly chickory
    some type of turnip or radishes
    Thanks
    Dave

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

get to gether with a couple people in you are and split the costs

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Our local coop will sell small quantities, that they have in stock. You can purchase packages of innoculant, as well . Mix it all together in a tub or bucket. Usually, I don't think you should inoculate, too long before planting , but could be wrong. I have planted, clovers and timothy, that I have kept in a dry barrel for several years. It grows, not inoculated. Talk to your seed folks , old243

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Fenelon, I think that sorgum sudan grass, and some other crops, can be toxic to animals. After a killing frost. After a few days they can then be fed or pastured. Ask an ag rep if you are in doubt. old 243

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Speare Seeds.
    In Minto
    Large bags but a very broad range of products.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What is the purpose of an inoculate in this regard?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

From google: Inoculation may be defined as the process of adding effective bacteria to the host plant seed before planting. The purpose of inoculation is to make sure that there is enough of the correct type of bacteria present in the soil so that a successful legume-bacterial symbiosis is established.

Cheers

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I did one small 0.12 acre plot so far. Hymned and hawed about killing the sod first with glypho then my environmental conscious won out and I just tilled the crap out of it with the tractor tiller. Shallow tilled it to 2.5" and picked the big rocks. Put down 19-19-19 fert at 250lbs per acre and ran an atv harrow over it. Rolled it once over with the atv and a lawn roller, then seeded it. Did untreated alfalfa at 24lbs per acre, and added 4 lbs white clover and 6lbs double cut red clover. One more light pass with atv harrow and a final roll. Looks good. Will have to see how much of the sod pieces regrow and hopefully I haven't just fertilized a big seed bank of weeds.
    Bought a bag of seed oats but later returned it after reading the label. The three antifungals that coat the seed will kill the birds if they eat the seeds. I'd be broadcasting it so I didn't like the idea of the surface seed getting eaten. Returned it and now I have a bag of feed oats instead. For the other stuff, I decided to go with the seed brand from Cabelas. Price was affordable and I liked their selection. I have turnip, rape, and brassica mix on its way. Going to cultivate some more plots and wait a bit to see if not using herbicide to kill the sod worked OK on the first plot. If not, I'll crack out the atv sprayer and kill the new plots first before planting.
    How long do you have to wait after a round-up kill before you can till under and plant without fear of killing your new seed. A week or two?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Fenelon,

You need a Scottish tractor to get rid of that nasty sod. Any type of heavy duty tarp or old swimming pool cover put down over the grass with a few rocks holding it in place should suffice. Everything underneath will be killed off and simply run the cultivator over it or hand dig and plant.Make sure you drop a few rocks to hold your cover down,I can supply the rocks free of charge LOL. Works great over the winter but will probably work good now as the grass will rot under the tarp with the humidity and heat trapped.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I tried the environmentally friendly way, due to the insistence of my wife....failure both times. All chopping up the ground did was spreed out the Quack Grass roots and next season they came back two fold.

Next time I hit it hard with concentrated Round Up I got from the farmer next door and mixed it myself. It killed everything...everything !! Left me with a barren landscape to work with, perfect. !!

They say all that Round up needs is about 3 hrs on the green leaves to work itself down into the roots. The leaf on the plant takes a while to look dead, but once it's in the roots it will kill the plant.

The problem now is getting Round-Up retail that is strong enough to do the job. That watered down crap they sell at Canadian Tire is very weak...not to mention very expensive to buy when you have to do a big area.

Maybe talk to someone that does weed control and see if they can help you. They have licenses that allow them to buy stronger stuff that isn't commercially available.
    Last edited by MikePal; May 24th, 2019 at 06:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast