Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So anyone else thinking this year is a bit atypical?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

general observation in 68B after the last two weekends is most of the hens must be bread as most of the birds I have seen were bachelor groups of Toms. (with the exception of the birds I was chasing Saturday morning)

In 73 I haven't seen a large flock in a week or two in the mornings. Mostly 2-3 male birds and 1-2 hens or completely solo/bachelor groups. (observed while driving to/from work)

78A is the same as 73. (observed while driving to/from work)
    Things that fly turn me on

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Seen a tom strutting with 2hens yesterday at 3pm. Also had a Jake with then that the tom was chasing off

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I'm down on the north shore of Lake Erie west of Long Point and the black flies are horrible at times. What few warm/hot days we had meant farmers working my fields but I finally heard a gobble close by while cutting my asparagus. Too close to quitting time to run home and get my gear. Not sure about the turkeys clock but ours is up at 1900hrs. on Friday May 31 ! Then the fat lady can sing and we will cry in our beer while making Cream of Tag soup.
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Had 6 hens walk in to find me today just inside the bush. They were on the otherside of a fence row when I quietly entered the bush. They jumped the fence and walked over to investigate the gentle walking noise. I swear turkeys can hear like deer.

No toms around and these hens are still in a group so obviously they aren't on the nest. Can't say I remember a year this late when hens are still not nested. I have bumped into toms but they're not really responsive. They'll gobble but they don't roar in to meet me. LOL.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I hunted 80, as I have for several years. This season there was tons of promise as birds were seen in areas I hunted during scouting and some bushes held more birds than normally early on.
    Hunted opening day and it was bedlam, birds gobbling on the roost in the blocks surrounding us, toms and jakes running around chasing hens, fighting amongst themselves.
    My son shot a beauty tom just after 730am......

And then almost like a light switch it all changed. Henned up birds throughout and right to closing. Very few sightings and some mornings, way too quiet. Worked a bird until 655pm on closing day and had a coyote finally chase it away.
    Gotta love turkey hunting...

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I didn't have alot of time to hunt this season with a new born coming two days into the season. Got out the last couple of days of the season and birds were gobbling and willing to travel to calls. The rest of the season was slow with not alot of birds seen in wmu 78 and 81. Managed a couple of jakes but nothing to write home about.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    I didn't have alot of time to hunt this season with a new born coming two days into the season. Got out the last couple of days of the season and birds were gobbling and willing to travel to calls. The rest of the season was slow with not alot of birds seen in wmu 78 and 81. Managed a couple of jakes but nothing to write home about.
    congrats on the new born!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12