Thread: Finally put it together

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Finally put it together

Having very limited amount of time these days has made the hunting difficult to say the least. Never feels good going into the turkey woods completely blind, which has been the case most of this season.

Friday afternoon I got on two toms that I saw from the road. Both birds were sitting in the field. Its a field I often see them in before they roost. If there are birds around they typically roost on this ridge. I was able to sneak into about 100 yards of the field but couldn't get the jokers to come any closer then 50 yards from the field edge. Black flies were using my face a chew toy. It was nearly unbearable for 2 hours. After 7 pm I went for a drive to find other birds and on my way back the birds were still in the field but they soon buggered off as a woman walking her dog spooked them.

Right at dusk I roosted a bird back by our hunt camp. I know he's on the edge of a flooded field, so the obvious setup is the only dry spot in the whole field. A spot about 50 yards by 50 yards on the east side of the field. I am up early the next day, fully set up by 4:45 waiting for the sky to brighten. He starts gobbling around 5 am. I was doing some tree yelps here and there and he gobbled each time. Around 5:30 a hen in the tree starts putting . . . was odd, he was gobbling in response to her, then another hen starts yelping in the tree. If I was a turkey I would have came off the roost and landed where I was sitting, it seemed obvious to me, however they had other plans. They flew down across the water and landed out of sight, however I got a hen fired up and she started to get closer, I figured the game was on however they eventually made their way south onto a ridge about 250 yards from me. I listened to him move around and gobbling about every 5 minutes for the next hour. Its obvious I need to make a play on this bird as he isn't going to close an distance. I sneak around a trail which puts me about 100 yards from the hill they are on. I set up a tom decoy. Stood for few minutes to wait for a gobble hoping I haven't been busted. I crow call and he gobbles. Sounds 150 or so yards away due west. (hard to judge in the hard woods). I did a few yelps while standing there, then sat down positioning myself for a shot. All quiet for about 15 minutes. I hit the call again and GOBBLE, scared the crap out of me, he had to have been inside 60 yards, but he is on the other side of a clump of thick brush. I ready myself as I expect him to appear any second . . . . nothing nothing nothing . . . . I hit the call again, few more yelps, and GOBBLE. Same spot maybe a bit closer. I am still sitting ready. Then I heard a noise to my right, and out of the corner of my eye a dark object is moving towards my decoy. A hen . . . she walks past my decoy towards the gobbler I can't see. My immediate reaction was "oh great, she will go to him, and they pair will head off in the opposite direction, but wait, I hear more rustling coming from behind me. Corner of my eye, 4 jakes come right from behind me, strait to B-mobile in full blown attack mode. The decoy was about 5 yards from me, so I can't move. They started to get ornery so when they got out to about 15 yards I slowly turned, lined one up and dropped him.

Never did see the other bird - but I wasn't waiting to see if he'd show himself. I've tasted tag soup as a result of being too selective lol

2019turkey2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toddy; May 21st, 2019 at 07:56 AM.
    Things that fly turn me on

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Ya baby. Great read. I thought I was there.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Good work. Like you said, way better than tag soup.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddy View Post

Never did see the other bird - but I wasn't waiting to see if he'd show himself. I've tasted tag soup as a result of being too selective lol

2019turkey2.jpg
    A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Good hunt with good eats as a reward no need to justify taking the bird.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Great bird congrats. A nice jake is way better then sitting at home regretting why you didn't take the jake LOL
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Congrats!
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Apprentice

User Info Menu

That was a great story!! Felt like I was there. So cool! Well done man

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That sounded like a nice hunt
    Congrats on the great bird
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Good hunt with good eats as a reward no need to justify taking the bird.
    Absolutely !!! Nothing wrong with a jake, good job and congrats on filling your tag.