Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new combo 12

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Looking for a new combo 12

I'm hoping to get a new 12 gauge Deer / waterfowl going to give the Mossy 535 to my son. I don't want to spend to much and I what it in wood. I was looking at the Mossy 835 which is pretty much the same as the 535 it comes with both barrels. But I was wondering is there anything in a semi with both barrels?I see Mossberg has the 935 Combo but it appears difficult to get it in wood.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I recently acquired a Remington 870 combo in nearly mint condition (less than one box of shells through it and never hunted with) with a few extras (case, sling). It's blued/laminate with rifle sights and a rifled slug barrel. If you're interested in any more details PM me. I was planning to list it here in the for sale section on the weekend.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Other then Mossberg I don't know of any other manufactures that sell an auto bird/deer combo. About 10 years ago I had a Remington 11-87 that I ended up getting a new cantilever barrel for and it was around 300 bucks for the barrel. That at the time, for an auto was the cheapest option. Now it seems its almost as cheap to have two guns, one designated slug and one for birds.

Example - I purchased a benellie M2 20 ga slug gun. I was going to buy bbl for turkey hunting with it and the barrel runs me 800 bucks new. WTF.

Good luck with your search.
    Things that fly turn me on

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddy View Post
    Other then Mossberg I don't know of any other manufactures that sell an auto bird/deer combo. About 10 years ago I had a Remington 11-87 that I ended up getting a new cantilever barrel for and it was around 300 bucks for the barrel. That at the time, for an auto was the cheapest option. Now it seems its almost as cheap to have two guns, one designated slug and one for birds.

Example - I purchased a benellie M2 20 ga slug gun. I was going to buy bbl for turkey hunting with it and the barrel runs me 800 bucks new. WTF.

Good luck with your search.
    I have a similar feeling to you.

I have an 870 with a cantilever barrel, one thing that pops up every time I go to shoot rifled slugs with it, your cheek just does not sit right with a scope. I do not hunt with shotguns much now but if I were to get into a shotgun only hunt again I would be looking for a second 3" receiver and a cheek riser on the stock, 2 guns dedicated rather than switching back and forth.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

You're looking for something that is pretty specialized. If you really want a wood stock, have you considered getting the Mossberg, then buying an aftermarket wood stock if it's not available in wood from the factory?
    Alternatively, you could buy a used Remington 1100 and then buy a rifled barrel for it. I think Hastings makes them. This option would not be cheap considering that a used 1100 in 3" in decent shape will probably cost you at least $5-600, and it likely won't have interchangeable chokes. The rifled barrel will cost you a few hundred on top of that. Edit: Link to Tradex, who has them in stock, but only in 2 3/4" (which is good enough actually) https://www.tradeexcanada.com/conten...ntelever-mount

A third option is just using a rifled choke in your smoothbore. A friend of mine did this with a Remington 11-87 and the results were not bad.
    Last edited by rf2; May 23rd, 2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added info

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yeah I kinda figured I would probably be buying the Mossy 835 pump. Well at least I will be familiar with it. I looked at the Remington 870 Combo Pump but it only takes 3 inch shells.

The Mossy 935 occasionally shows up in wood but not often.

I probably could go with a plastic but I probably wouldn't be happy with it, just don't like the feel of plastic. Bought my son a plastic 22 he likes it, but I don't.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I looked at the Remington 870 Combo Pump but it only takes 3 inch shells.
    What do you need 3.5" shells for? I'd buy an 870 over a Mossberg any day of the week.

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Yeah I kinda figured I would probably be buying the Mossy 835 pump. Well at least I will be familiar with it. I looked at the Remington 870 Combo Pump but it only takes 3 inch shells.

The Mossy 935 occasionally shows up in wood but not often.

I probably could go with a plastic but I probably wouldn't be happy with it, just don't like the feel of plastic. Bought my son a plastic 22 he likes it, but I don't.
    Lots of 3 1/2" 870s out there, I have 3 1/2" shells but have not used them in a long time, the only reason for a 3 1/2" for me is buckshot, turkey it is not needed and not needed for geese either.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
    What do you need 3.5" shells for? I'd buy an 870 over a Mossberg any day of the week.

-Nick
    No kidding...I picked up a Wingmaster 870 in 2 3/4 on consignment at Gun Shop for $125. It has killed everything I've shot with it, both slug and shot. Never needed 'more' .
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

There's an 11-87 combo on the CGN equipment exchange. Everything you are looking for except wood stocks, which I'm sure you could pick up easily on the used market if you really want wood. It's been on there for a while, so you'd probably be able to talk him down from his $800 asking price. Comes with a scope mounted on the cantilevered rifled barrel. Also, I think I saw some Winchester SXP and 1300 combos with wood stocks on there. If you are open to pumps then there are lots of options.
    I have two 870 supermag combos (3.5" shells), so they do exist. I bought one as a combo, the other I bought a cantilevered rifled barrel for later. They are o.k. shotguns. Actually I'm thinking of selling one of the combos, but the only wood stocks I have for it are pretty ugly and there's a crack in the buttstock. I currently have plastic stocks on both of them. I agree with others - 3.5" shells are unnecessary. I tried them in turkey loads, and the increased recoil was not worth the few additional pellets in the kill zone. Neither of my rifled barrels take the 3.5" shells, and I usually use 2.75" shells in them even though they are capable of taking 3".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast