Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pheasant hunting at Luther marsh

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default pheasant hunting at Luther marsh

So been poking around Luther marsh a couple of times and wonder why there is no pheasant hunt?
    Haven't fully explored the area but there are a number of open areas where a put and take would be possible.
    Tiny has one, Hullet has one why not Luther?
    Would Pheasant Forever spear head something like that?
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They used to have a good one I’m told. It comes down to wether management wants it. My understanding is the present guy in charge doesn’t.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Used to be a great one there but..... eliminated like so many others.

https://www.orangeville.com/news-sto...anctuary-plan/
    Last edited by Sharon; May 25th, 2019 at 03:14 PM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    They used to have a good one I’m told. It comes down to wether management wants it. My understanding is the present guy in charge doesn’t.
    If that's the case then the present guy be dammed.
    Wouldn't this be if the users want it than put a manager in charge to execute it?
    Anyone have an in with the federation of Anglers and Hunters and see if they can lobby for it.
    Heck I'd be happy with a BYOP option. Buy your 3 pheasants at the local game farm and release 'em for a day DIY "hunt" it gives the dogs a good run close to home with no cost or effort to the GRCA , while increasing revenue through increased day use.
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; May 25th, 2019 at 03:53 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The Pheasant Hunting at Luther Marsh, used to be pretty good, I hunted there with friends for quite a few years.
    For about two years towards the end, we hunted hard with our dogs and had a hard time finding birds
    Things went awry for some reason , pheasants that were raised for release there wound up elsewhere???, I was told that you could buy them at a service station near Orangeville.
    Being a bit miffed , I started to ask around ,I and found the possible reason for lack of pheasants at Luther.
    I complained about this to Headquarters in Cambridge, as I knew a couple of guys that worked there, they said they would investigate this complaint I also told them that this could be proved beyond doubt as I new a person that had bought pheasants at this service station a few times, and he would verify from whom he bought them.
    Not long after the pheasant hunting there ended.

This is the latest; //www.orangeville.com/news-story/-wildlife-sanctuary-plan/
    Last edited by jaycee; May 27th, 2019 at 04:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Wouldn't this be if the users want it than put a manager in charge to execute it?
    Anyone have an in with the federation of Anglers and Hunters and see if they can lobby for it.
    Heck I'd be happy with a BYOP option. Buy your 3 pheasants at the local game farm and release 'em for a day DIY "hunt" it gives the dogs a good run close to home with no cost or effort to the GRCA , while increasing revenue through increased day use.
    Given that the GRCA is not likely to incur any costs associated with an increased hunt, including management, it's not terribly likely.\

If all you want is a decent day out with the dogs, and are willing to pay for it, why not hit High Point?
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    If all you want is a decent day out with the dogs, and are willing to pay for it, why not hit High Point?
    Short answer with only 120 acres to roam my dogs would blow through it in 20 minutes.
    Reason I drive to Hullet is that the dogs can work all day. Luther has way more acreage than any private reserve and although I get by with woodcock and grouse there, tossing out a couple of pheasants in the open fields just gives a bit more variety to the hunt. Dogs got to work different to pin down each bird.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Luther had a great pheasant hunt, big open fields, plenty of room for hunters, and there always seemed to be a good abundance of birds. I pheasant hunted there from 1999 to when it ended in 2008, and it was fantastic. Always put up lots of woodcock and grouse there too. It would be nice to see it back up and running, but I doubt that will happen based on what I’ve heard too.

Lorenzo

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Your asking the OFAH to do what? Did you say lobby? You beleive that ,then I got a bridge or two for sale

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Couliewalker View Post
    Your asking the OFAH to do what? Did you say lobby? You beleive that ,then I got a bridge or two for sale
    Can't be that impotent of an organization as it was a big part of expanding Sunday hunting. I believe if there was enough demand/interest they would be involved.
    A full on release may not be in the cards but I can't see why a self initiated put and take option be put in place. I see it along the lines of camping in provincial parks. They let you camp but don't pitch your tent for you so similarly Luther could let you hunt pheasants but you got to put 'em there yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast