Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more groundhogs ?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default No more groundhogs ?

Took an ATV ride on Sunday afternoon through a closed & rehabilitated township landfill. The kind of place that should be teeming with groundhogs in the spring. Not one hole to be seen anywhere.

I guess I can only assume that the overpopulated coyotes have cleaned them out for good.

I do see them from time to time along the roadsides on the fringes of Peterborough, but not many in fields or pastures.

What about your area ?
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73hunter View Post
    Took an ATV ride on Sunday afternoon through a closed & rehabilitated township landfill. The kind of place that should be teeming with groundhogs in the spring. Not one hole to be seen anywhere.

I guess I can only assume that the overpopulated coyotes have cleaned them out for good.

I do see them from time to time along the roadsides on the fringes of Peterborough, but not many in fields or pastures.

What about your area ?
    These days,farmers are cultivating every square inch they can,so,Ghog dens are being ploughed under. Concentrate on scanning field edges with rock outcroppings sticking out of heavy undergrowth. Split rail fence rows are another great place to look. I like to cruise concession roads,stopping to climb into the box of the truck with binoculars. When I find promising areas,I start door knockin'. There's not as many as there used to be making it a challenge. Coyotes love them for an easy meal and so do bears.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Never had a hog on the property for 20 yrs.....then about 3 yrs ago they moved in. Now I have them right in the yard burrowing under my Range shooting shack of all places !!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73hunter View Post

What about your area ?
    Your right about that, 30 years ago there was boat loads of groundhogs everywhere around here (durham region). Now they are pretty much gone from here. There's tons of coyotes around here now so I don't see any future for the groundhogs in this area anytime soon.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I actually have been seeing more of them than past years but not in fields. Mostly just inside bush edges and in ditches along roads where they feel safer

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I see quite a few , but they are actually right in town on factory lawns and on the boulevards, watching traffic go by.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Funny you mention the return of groundhogs, hadn't seen any in probably 25 years, 2 weeks ago there was one in the back yard, where it came from and went to I don't know. One thing for sure, it wouldn't last long here.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I use to see lots in the shelburne area. It was not uncommon to see a hundred or so on a sunny Sunday drive through the country, but they’re mostly gone now. Even the private property we hunt had all kinds of dens, but they’re grown over and abandoned. I figure everyone is right about the coyotes making short work of these guys. Too bad, they’re goofy animals. It would always make us laugh to see them, somehow, perched on a fence post and probably pondering life.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbuff View Post
    I use to see lots in the shelburne area. It was not uncommon to see a hundred or so on a sunny Sunday drive through the country, but they’re mostly gone now. Even the private property we hunt had all kinds of dens, but they’re grown over and abandoned. I figure everyone is right about the coyotes making short work of these guys. Too bad, they’re goofy animals. It would always make us laugh to see them, somehow, perched on a fence post and probably pondering life.
    Coyotes and farming practices have changed the whole scene for ground hogs.
    Years ago , the Durham On. area was over run with ground hogs, they even had yearly ground hog shoots that attracted hunters from all over.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    These days,farmers are cultivating every square inch they can,so,Ghog dens are being ploughed under. Concentrate on scanning field edges with rock outcroppings sticking out of heavy undergrowth. Split rail fence rows are another great place to look. I like to cruise concession roads,stopping to climb into the box of the truck with binoculars. When I find promising areas,I start door knockin'. There's not as many as there used to be making it a challenge. Coyotes love them for an easy meal and so do bears.
    Yes, I imagine they’re around if you put the effort in to look for them. My point in the post was that a hundred acres of rolling grassland would have been stuffed full of them not all that long ago. To not see any there now is disappointing.
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast