Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone hear any updates on the Bobwhite situation

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointer View Post
    That's the issue with local deer feeding associations that still exist. "Let me get this straight... you want ME to donate MY money so that some guy can attract deer to HIS back 40?!"
    Not quite the same. Deer will travel miles to winter in a yard. Basically migrate every winter. I don’t know if quail migrate to winter range? Many birds do though.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    No money for habitat work, only wild population of Bobwhite’s left in Ontario that I know of is on Walpole island. Now if we ever did get the money together for land and habitat work, those Walpole birds would make perfect candidates for transfer stockings. Wishful thinking on my part. In reality the only thing the government has done so far is put them on the protected species list. About as much as you’d expect from the Ontario government with the dept and cutbacks going on. Maybe one day.
    It was the Feds that put them on the endangered species list! After too many years of Liberal extravagant spending we have a provincial government reeling in the expenses in an attempt to balance a budget. MNR supplies luxury in fishing and hunting so no monies forth coming.
    "Without Proper Management Wild Life Becomes Your Next Hood Ornament"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

What about all the ofah affiliated clubs.i guess if it's not deer or turkeys,their is no interest.Up here the interest is in moose and fish stocking.
    Pennsylvania spends hundreds of thousands on pheasant release which everyone knows is strictly a put and take proposition. We need to keep our hunting license dollars in hunting.Again I mention all these ofah affiliated clubs who collectively have the money to do it.We need our voice,the ofah to petition the government.
    I know its put and take but put and take pheasants,huns,and quail will keep pressure off the few wild birds we have left and provide days afield.
    Not many townships release pheasant anymore and I know of release quail, it's a shame.
    Time to face the reality,put and take is the way of the future ,its been in Europe for a while and is the reason the UK which is not large compared to Ont shoots 10 million pheasants a year.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The annual harvest of South Dakota is about 828,000 pheasants a year and those are not all natural birds by any means, but it is "THE" go to pheasant mecca. This means income for Lodging, food, fuel and all other tourist type industries. Ontario refuses to use hunting resources to any extent to generate revenue in a failing manufacturing environment. Bob White Quail and Hungarian partridge once had huntable populations in Ontario. Simply putting them on the endangered species list does nothing if you don't work at enhancing the population with better habitat and environmental studies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12