Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Crossbow

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default New Crossbow

IMG_3682.jpg

Been using my Barnett thunderbolt since 1986. I finally made the move and bought an Excalibur.
    Started the morning leaning on a tree and listening. Faint roost gobbles at the other end of the bush. I sent out one faint call to let them know I was here, then sat quietly and waited to see what they were in the mood for. An hour later a hen called aggressively from the field behind me. Great! I'm about to get blocked! I reached for my call and started emulating her. She came closer never stopping her calling(No distress calls). I called just as much and as loud until she was right behind me. I stopped and watcher her walk by not 5 feet in front of me. Never shutting up and loud as hell. In the mean time the toms were down and coming fast. She's now between me and the toms. I start calling aggressively once again but she met them half way and took them to the spa. F%$@! I waited an hour and packed it in.

Went back the day 2, same tactic. Sit, wait and listen. Toms were gobbling in the roost but had no interest in coming to my side of the bush. Two hens waked past me towards the big boys. Waited about an hour and decided its time to stalk. I'm hoping the toms mistaken my calls to be the hens that walked to them. I get up and creep through the bush towards the east field where I thought I heard them last. All gobbling has stopped since they flew down. As I got closer to the field I heard them gobble! Great I thought to my self... Busted! I slowly back tracked as I watched them come from the other end of the field to investigate. I settled into a tree and got ready. It was perfect, they saw something and were curious as the two big toms came in to range. First shot with my new crossbow did him in at about five yards. A great hunt and am glad it went the way it did. Thank you for your sacrifice big guy!
    Last edited by odm2; June 7th, 2019 at 04:36 PM.
    The nail that sticks out gets hammered.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That was a nice story, good hunt
    congrats
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice bird and story congrats
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thx guys!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Thats a great hunt! Always a challenge but especially with a crossbow! Congrats!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thanx DanO

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    Thats a great hunt! Always a challenge but especially with a crossbow! Congrats!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Boom! That’s awesome. That’s a beauty Tom man. Especially getting them in that close.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thanks! I was surprised how fast they ran towards me. I’d say they were about seventy yards into the field and I was still at least thirty yards in thick cover. I quickly backed up maybe fifteen yards to sit and they were on top of me! His head was working double time searching from side to side looking for me. I’m assuming he thought I was a hen. I’ve had them come to me aggressively but this dude wasn’t strutting or clucking. Very quiet.
    [QUOT.mark;1085959]Boom! That’s awesome. That’s a beauty Tom man. Especially getting them in that close.[/QUOTE]

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

That's a great story - Well done on the hunt......Awesome picture..
    To hunt & to fish = enjoying life; I live for the outdoors.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Good job,, that's the way to break in the new bow!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast