Thread: Going to clean up..... but first I want to shoot .... near Brampton range suggestions.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Question Going to clean up..... but first I want to shoot .... near Brampton range suggestions.

I have been putting off cleaning up my Dad's stuff for over 2 decades now, some I won't sell but others I want to reduce and some I want to get out and fire a few before I decide which ones I want to keep. I have some pairs and duplicates of stuff that I want to take out and actually fire to decide which I like best and which has the best accuracy etc. One I won't even get to fire.... CVA 45 kentucky kit 1/2 done... I give up on "someday", my todo and want to do list is too long now.

So to the question,....
    1) I don't have time to regularly shoot so a membership would be silly and
    2) I'm not sure what or how many I will bring but want some time to put holes in paper with what might be a wide variety, (.22 to 308 to .45 muzzy) at 50 to 100 yds (or more if option allows)
    3) I am on support (hugely variable work) so a weekday is actually best for my schedule.
    4) I might bring one of the kids too

so.... rather than flipping a coin, near Brampton do you have any range suggestions?

I'm sure other want that one day shoot for sighting or fun so I thought I would ask for suggestions.
    Last edited by mosquito; June 9th, 2019 at 09:53 AM.
    "It's disturbing that when it comes to the Christian faith, people don't really want, or know how, to investigate the evidence" - Daniel B. Wallace So why not learn?
    Sadly few remember kids: Compassion, Samaritans Purse, World Vision

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I have never been, but it looks like Silverdale, near St. Catharines, could be your best option.

https://silverdalegunclub.com/non-members/

Thirty bucks for both of you on a weekday.
    PM me if you are interested to sell the half-done Kentucky.

It sounds like you lost your Dad a couple decades ago. I did as well. That's very sad.
    He only owned two guns when he died; a totally clapped-out Model 94 with no rifling left, and a really nice Model 1907 Winchester in, of course, .351 Winchester. Both guns are now in possession of my nephew.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
    I have been putting off cleaning up my Dad's stuff for over 2 decades now, some I won't sell but others I want to reduce and some I want to get out and fire a few before I decide which ones I want to keep. I have some pairs and duplicates of stuff that I want to take out and actually fire to decide which I like best and which has the best accuracy etc. One I won't even get to fire.... CVA 45 kentucky kit 1/2 done... I give up on "someday", my todo and want to do list is too long now.

So to the question,....
    1) I don't have time to regularly shoot so a membership would be silly and
    2) I'm not sure what or how many I will bring but want some time to put holes in paper with what might be a wide variety, (.22 to 308 to .45 muzzy) at 50 to 100 yds (or more if option allows)
    3) I am on support (hugely variable work) so a weekday is actually best for my schedule.
    4) I might bring one of the kids too

so.... rather than flipping a coin, near Brampton do you have any range suggestions?

I'm sure other want that one day shoot for sighting or fun so I thought I would ask for suggestions.
    Go east,young man. Gagnon's in Oshawa and Easthill outdoors in Orono both have indoor ranges. I'm not sure of the exact particulars but it would be wise to give each of them a call.
    I like my firearms like Liberals like voters-----undocumented.

Proud supporter of OFAH,CCFR,NRA and A.F.& A.M.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Charlie View Post
    I have never been, but it looks like Silverdale, near St. Catharines, could be your best option.

https://silverdalegunclub.com/non-members/

Thirty bucks for both of you on a weekday.
    PM me if you are interested to sell the half-done Kentucky.

It sounds like you lost your Dad a couple decades ago. I did as well. That's very sad.
    He only owned two guns when he died; a totally clapped-out Model 94 with no rifling left, and a really nice Model 1907 Winchester in, of course, .351 Winchester. Both guns are now in possession of my nephew.
    Thanks to both.

There is a 1912 shotgun and a 22 that were his dads and a couple hunting guns but another dozen or so that he bought, cleaned up and resold or traded up. He sometimes even bought boxes of surplus from SIR, kinda wish he had kept the Westinghouse Mosin and I had kept the one 1916 that was spotless... ah well I digress... Most of those went to auction over ten years ago but there are still a couple that overlap what I had from back then. The emotional appeal says ... keep his... the logical appeal says keep the best... time for a comparison and decisions it seems. Sights (my eyes and irons....), fit etc. both might go, there is a pair of Swedes that might go and Tradexchange keeps having some with scope mounts.... although this one and the one painted blue are NO thanks! https://www.tradeexcanada.com/conten...orter-65x55-83

P.S.
    Gagnon - "As a private, members-only shooting facility,"
    Last edited by mosquito; June 9th, 2019 at 05:05 PM.
    "It's disturbing that when it comes to the Christian faith, people don't really want, or know how, to investigate the evidence" - Daniel B. Wallace So why not learn?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Where do you hunt? We used to go out to the farms where we hunted and put up a target at 100 yards with a big hill behind it to sight in deer rifles, lots of hilly farmland around. I know some municipalities have put in bylaws for target shooting now but not all of them.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Where do you hunt? We used to go out to the farms where we hunted and put up a target at 100 yards with a big hill behind it to sight in deer rifles, lots of hilly farmland around. I know some municipalities have put in bylaws for target shooting now but not all of them.
    The land I used to hunt fox etc. hasn't been available for over a decade, I keep thinking I will book a deer or bear hunt on something like bookyourhunt.com etc. .... for about a decade now.... (actually open on another tab ... https://www.bookyourhunt.com/discoun...fers-in-canada )

BUT life really does get in the way of fishing and hunting! Taking a 308 or 6.5x55 or 22 and hanging the targets at 100 yards on some cattails or a floating milk jug .... doable BUT likely to cause legal issues ....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The land I used to hunt fox etc. hasn't been available for over a decade, I keep thinking I will book a deer or bear hunt on something like bookyourhunt.com etc. .... for about a decade now.... (actually open on another tab ... https://www.bookyourhunt.com/discoun...fers-in-canada )

BUT life really does get in the way of fishing and hunting! Taking a 308 or 6.5x55 or 22 and hanging the targets at 100 yards on some cattails or a floating milk jug .... doable BUT likely to cause legal issues ....
    Well, then you are probably going to have to drive north and use some Crown land or become a range member which is not going to be easy as a lot have closed and most have waiting lists. Your options are very limited.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Well, then you are probably going to have to drive north and use some Crown land or become a range member which is not going to be easy as a lot have closed and most have waiting lists. Your options are very limited.
    The Silverdale looks like I can use it OK, I don't mind driving or paying a bit more for single use since a membership is a waste of money. The question is where and finding the time.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The Silverdale looks like I can use it OK, I don't mind driving or paying a bit more for single use since a membership is a waste of money. The question is where and finding the time.
    I have a membership up this way, volunteer at club events and shoot more teaching others than at the club on my own, ha ha.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

At Silverdale a day pass is 20 bucks. No need for a membership unless you plan to go there 15 or more times a year...........Daniel
    It's not the mountain ahead that wears you out, it's the grain of sand in yer shoe.