Thread: Spring Bear Camp/Canoe Report

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Spring Bear Camp/Canoe Report

So this spring my BIL and nephew wanted to get in on the action of the spring hunt so a week before the May long weekend we headed out to set up 3 baits - one for each of us. The bait recipe was more or less the same as past years except instead of molasses we switched to corn syrup this year. The molasses certainly smells stronger (pro) but has a tendency to ferment in hot weather (con). Price ($0.30 per pound) was the same so not a consideration. The syrup is definitely an order of magnitude sweeter and although labelled as "not for human consumption" it tasted fine enough that i used it on my pancakes. Loading up on May long weekend a week after setting out the baits:

We set up camp about 6 km down a 4WD road that was that was in worse condition than last year. Numerous flooded and washed out sections and added about a 1000 pinstripes to the paint job on my truck. Good thing it is a work truck. Camp was at the edge of a lake that is all crown and serves as our canoe access to the baits which were 2 to 5 km down the lake. My BIL and nephew shared the tarped dome tent and i was in my cot tent (sort of visible to the left of dome tent).

Heading off at dark thirty:

We did not see anything that weekend as the bears were not on the baits at that point. We returned the following weekend and the baits were just starting to get hit but the flies and mossies proved too much for the BIL and nephew who said screw this we will come back in the fall.

I went in again this past weekend and honestly did not find the bugs that bad. I hunt from the ground and on Saturday morning got busted by a decent boar that came up behind me. He stopped at 20ish yards and starting huffing and woofing at me. As i turned he headed for the hills with no shot opportunity. On the Sunday I watched a momma and 2 cubs for about 20 minutes in the late afternoon. This is my spot kind of tucked into some spruce and fir branches (chair and tripod moved out for the picture).

The view down the shooting lane:

So no spring bear this year but that's fine as gotta have something to hunt in September.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

User Info Menu

Nice adventure! Too bad you guys didn't connect but I'm sure you will this fall!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I found the bugs to be especially bad last week as well. In order to sit still I was covered head to toe & a good quality head-net. They couldn't get to my skin so I was a happy camper & let them buzz around me...

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Awesome hunt thanks for sharing
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great adventure. Tough not getting busted from the ground. Don’t eat too much of that artery plugger or you won’t be hunting too long. Haha. Not familiar with boundary canoes?
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Not familiar with boundary canoes?
    Made by H2O.

Mine is a 17' 6" Boundary model. Asymetrical hull, no keel, 1 inch bow rocker and minimal stern rocker. Super fast but tricky to solo if you don't know what you are doing. Holds a friggin ton as well. Mine is the Inegra Epoxy Pro Kevlar lay up that tips the scales at 40 lbs.
    Better pic of the boat:

http://www.h2ocanoe.com/

Boat on the left is no slouch either. It is a 16'6" Saugeen Bluewater in Kevlar layup. First nice canoe I ever owned - bought it new 27 years ago. Had the Boundary for 3 seasons so far and I like it. Thumbnail below is off the H2O website:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Species8472; June 11th, 2019 at 07:52 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Very nice adventure..........thanks for sharing, always enjoy them
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Made by H2O.

Mine is a 17' 6" Boundary model. Asymetrical hull, no keel, 1 inch bow rocker and minimal stern rocker. Super fast but tricky to solo if you don't know what you are doing. Holds a friggin ton as well. Mine is the Inegra Epoxy Pro Kevlar lay up that tips the scales at 40 lbs.
    Better pic of the boat:

http://www.h2ocanoe.com/

Boat on the left is no slouch either. It is a 16'6" Saugeen Bluewater in Kevlar layup. First nice canoe I ever owned - bought it new 27 years ago. Had the Boundary for 3 seasons so far and I like it. Thumbnail below is off the H2O website:
    Thanks. Nice light canoe. Might look into their solo model. Paddling a Bluewater Mist Solo now, would like to try something else.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Always a good write-up from you Species. Sounds like another fun spring hunt
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

was wondering when this report would show up. sounds like a fun adventure, hopefully you can nab one in the fall. i'll be going for bear early sept myself.
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear