Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Stickbow Spring Bear

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    Now, there was a chipshot opportunity on a bear who's back was above the top of a standing barrel, that was missed because the hunter was busy setting up his phone on video mode. That...might be a regret. . But hopefully he'll get another crack at him in September.
    Omg that would be a real big bear then, regret wouldn't even begin to describe how pissed off at myself I would be for letting possibly the shot of a lifetime get away because I was more concerned on getting film than actually focusing on what I was there to do. Just thinking about here turns my guts lol. Like if you want to film your hunt fine, but have a go pro or whatever brand of camera set up on a mount ahead of time. Oh well, that's a hard lesson learned there. Good luck to him in the fall.
    Sows with cubs can really wreck a bait site, I've been there, in fact it cost me some hunting property when I made the mistake of showing wifey pics of the family and there went any thought of taking mom. Then when the farmer asked me how the hunt was going I was honest, and turns out he was not pleased that I wouldn't take the sow. Can't say I really blame him, to him it just looks like I'm just feeding a family of four, last thing he needs. In retrospect I probably should have stopped baiting at ground level for a while and then hung a bait high enough that only a larger bear could reach. I even thought about trying to spook them off there somehow, but it was like their private kitchen by then. I tried a few times but I would leave and they'd be back in an hour. Lesson learned.

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    Sows with cubs can really wreck a bait site, I've been there, in fact it cost me some hunting property when I made the mistake of showing wifey pics of the family and there went any thought of taking mom. Then when the farmer asked me how the hunt was going I was honest, and turns out he was not pleased that I wouldn't take the sow. Can't say I really blame him, to him it just looks like I'm just feeding a family of four, last thing he needs. In retrospect I probably should have stopped baiting at ground level for a while and then hung a bait high enough that only a larger bear could reach. I even thought about trying to spook them off there somehow, but it was like their private kitchen by then. I tried a few times but I would leave and they'd be back in an hour. Lesson learned.

Cheers
    Ya, that's definitely a different situation. In a farming area where landowners want to reduce the number of bears, we might have been more inclined to take one of the legal sows with 1.5yr old cubs. We did also have some illegal sows with young cubs on camera, but these never appeared with a hunter in the stand. I wonder if they sows are more cautious to keep their young cubs safe compared to older cubs that she can't really control as much.
    A friend of mine sat my new spot on our last night and had a sow with older cubs on. She sat back. If he would move, she would quickly hide behind the barrels or trees, but would leave her cubs to chow down at the bait. It was on that night that my buddy saw a huge bear at that site, who didn't get any closer than 40 yards. He had to have been coming in for that sow.

A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great story and nice bear
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

congrats man, any bear with a stick is awesome. sounds like a great trip and the hard work put in makes it nicer.

with the hands and knees blood trailing, did you end up hitting liver ? how far did he get ? i've heard good things about those VPAs
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by parkcity View Post
    congrats man, any bear with a stick is awesome. sounds like a great trip and the hard work put in makes it nicer.

with the hands and knees blood trailing, did you end up hitting liver ? how far did he get ? i've heard good things about those VPAs
    Thanks parkcity. I dropped the ball when it came to the autopsy and didn't really pay attention to what was, and what wasn't, hit. It was forward of guts, so likely liver and 1 lung? Where we found it was actually within 100 yards of the bait site, but, it was a loop to get back there. Backing out was definitely the right move. Bears just don’t seem to bleed due to the fur, and fat. The bear I shot last year with my 50# Hoyt Buffalo recurve and 1 1/8” VPA’s only went, 60-80 yards. But, still only a few drops along the way despite it being a pass-thru. It sure is a good lesson in blood trailing though. We get better and better at it every year.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Congrats on the bear sounds like a great hunt

Apprentice

User Info Menu

A jealousy-inducing report of a well-planned and well-executed hunt!

Well done!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12