Thread: Antlerless deer draw?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

2213 Bias Antlerless deer draw?

Hi,

Antlerless draw has always been confusing for me. My questions might be answered in this site in the past but I appreciate if someone share his/her opinion with me.

My questions:

1- Do I need to specify the WMU when applying for antlerless draw? According to regulations (page 36) , it is not needed!,

2- From the regulations page page 44: (deer with no antlers or antlers bothless than 7.5 cm long), so does that mean that I can ONLY hunt deer that has antler less than 7.5 cm? Can I hunt a buck with a bigger antler with my antlerless tag. It is not clear in the regs.

3- Referring to question one, if the answer is that I don't need to specify the WMU, so does that mean that I can also use my tag for WMUs which gun hunting is allowed and hunt an antlerless deer? If so, which WMUs are gun hunting allowed for antlerless deer?

4- Can I use my antlerless deer tag for controlled hunt (as per permit for a doe or buck or either sex)? I almost know the answer of this question but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by shikarchi; June 21st, 2019 at 12:47 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

When you apply for an antlerless (doe) tag, you have to specify the WMU.
    If you are successful in a controlled hunt, your validation will indicate antlered or antlerless or either or, depending on the WMU. In which case, your game seal would be good.
    If you apply and get a doe tag for a given WMU, you can still harvest a buck with that tag in any WMU.
    An antlerless deer is defined as having antlers less that 7.5 cm. Anything over that is a buck...
    As a side note, even a buck that has dropped his antlers in late season, is deemed an antlerless deer for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by rick_iles; June 21st, 2019 at 01:02 PM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

My questions:

1- Do I need to specify the WMU when applying for antlerless draw? According to regulations (page 36) , it is not needed!,

A – Yes you must specify a WMU. Nowhere on page 36 does it sate that you do not need to enter a WMU. Its states that hunt codes are not needed for the antlerless deer draw because the WMU is used.

2- From the regulations page page 44: (deer with no antlers or antlers bothless than 7.5 cm long), so does that mean that I can ONLY hunt deer that has antler less than 7.5 cm? Can I hunt a buck with a bigger antler with my antlerless tag. It is not clear in the regs.

A - If you are hunting for a buck only, the antlers must be at least 7.5cm or longer otherwise it is considered a doe and you must have antlerless validation for that WMU

3- Referring to question one, if the answer is that I don't need to specify the WMU, so does that mean that I can also use my tag for WMUs which gun hunting is allowed and hunt an antlerless deer? If so, which WMUs are gun hunting allowed for antlerless deer?

A - You must specify a WMU and the doe validation is only valid for that WMU. You may hunt a buck in any WMU that has a regular deer season whether gun or bow season. To hunt a controlled season you must be successful in the controlled deer draw.

4- Can I use my antlerless deer tag for controlled hunt (as per permit for a doe or buck or either sex)? I almost know the answer of this question but just wanted to make sure.

A - To hunt in a controlled area you must be successful in the controlled deer draw and use the deer tag that comes with your deer licence. Buying a deer licence or being successful in the antlerless deer draw is not permission to hunt in a controlled season.

I am leaving additional deer tags out of the conversation to avoid confusion.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks Quack_Kills,

Referring to question 2: So can I still hunt a buck using my antlerless deer tag?

Referring to question 4: Thanks but I know that but my questions is: As far as I know controlled hunt is a permission (not a tag) so if I am successful in Controlled Hunt, can I use my antlerless tag ?

Thanks again.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shikarchi View Post
    Thanks Quack_Kills,

Referring to question 2: So can I still hunt a buck using my antlerless deer tag?

Referring to question 4: Thanks but I know that but my questions is: As far as I know controlled hunt is a permission (not a tag) so if I am successful in Controlled Hunt, can I use my antlerless tag ?

Thanks again.
    1) yes because if successful in the draw the tag is now validated for a buck in any WMU or a doe in a specific WMU, its not a doe only tag but you can only shoot one deer.
    2) correct, yes the "permission" over rides or compliments (for a lack of better words) the validation on the tag while hunting in the controlled season.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Shikarchi

Think like this:
    Antler-less tag is not a second tag.It goes with Your deer license-or call it the main tag.

When using your antler less tag on antlerless deer(in WMU you are granted an antler less tag)you loose your main tag ,since You will have to validate it ,if you harvest an antlerless deer.
    It is good ONLY in the WMU You applied for-AND for the season AND firearm that WMU specifies FOR antler less tag.

Controlled Hunt has nothing to do with the antler less draw-You got the Controlled validation sticker or not.If yes-You can hunt ONLY in the WMU You applied for,in the season You applied for,AND for the sex the validation sticker for Controlled hunt (sticker or whatever will be issued this year) specifies.

You will be able to hunt MAYBE both sexes,or just buck.It will be spelled out for You on the Controlled Deer validation sticker.
    Regardless of the Antler less draw result!

After the Controlled hunt is over,you go back to all other conditions mentioned above.

All this still gives You ONE deer(whenever and whatever You shoot)see as above.

Additional tags will make this more complex-so as mentioned by others-lets not murky the waters more............

Good luck-highly recommend reading the regulation,one page at the time.It is quite clear..............
    Last edited by gbk; June 21st, 2019 at 08:29 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks for the awesome answers.
    I know the rules for controlled hunt since I had my first buck (an 8 pointers) in 2008 and my second deer (a bottom buck) in 2009 both during controlled hunt and after that nothing so far!...
    My question was mainly about antlerless and its tag that according to your answer I can use it for controlled hunt if the tag is not used during antlerless. (of course I should be successful in controlled hunt )
    And also it is not clearly mentioned in the regs. that antlerless deer tag is not a doe only. They just mentioned: (deer with no antlers or antlers both less than 7.5 cm long) but according to your answer, it is valid for both buck and doe,good ONLY in the WMU I applied for-AND for the season AND firearm that WMU specifies FOR antlerless tag.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by shikarchi; June 22nd, 2019 at 10:18 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=shikarchi;1086529][SIZE=4]Thanks for the awesome answers.
    I know the rules for controlled hunt since I had my first buck (an 8 pointers) in 2008 and my second deer (a bottom buck) in 2009 both during controlled hunt and after that nothing so far!...
    My question was mainly about antlerless and its tag that according to your answer I can use it for controlled hunt if the tag is not used during antlerless. (of course I should be successful in controlled hunt )

Yes-actually You MUST use Your main tag-if drawn for the Controlled deer hunt!
    BUT if the Controlled Deer Validation tag does not allow You antler-less deer(can easily happen)-then you can not shoot antler less deer in Controlled hunt.Regardless You have an antler less tag on You main tag.It will be valid-BEFORE and AFTER Controlled hunt.This is specified in the Regulations-which rule applies for the antlerless tag in certain WMU .

And also it is not clearly mentioned in the regs. that antlerless deer tag is not a doe only. They just mentioned: (deer with no antlers or antlers both less than 7.5 cm long) but according to your answer, it is valid for both buck and doe,good ONLY in the WMU I applied for-AND for the season AND firearm that WMU specifies FOR antlerless tag.

Correct-You can harvest Buck in ANY open season-in any WMU(except WMU where there is Controlled deer hunt -only in the Controlled deer hunt -for which You must apply and get the validation)-with allowed firearms or archery gear.

Jet this is not DUE of the antlerless tag,BUT the other way around.Your main tag gives You the right for the buck.
    BUT if you use Your tag on harvested animal(regardless of antler less or buck)You used up your tag.

The harvested buck has to have at least ONE antler longer then 7.5 cm-OR you just harvested Yourself an-antlerless deer, in MNRF language. For which You must have antler less deer tag(in most cases)

Good luck.AND please read the regulations.While it is written by lawyers i think due of the language used there-if You read it carefully-you will find all the answers You need.
    Last edited by gbk; June 23rd, 2019 at 11:35 AM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

shikarchi, I believe you mean a button not bottom buck in your previous statement. This animal is classified as anterless
    as long as the nubs are both less then 7.5 cm so a standard deer tag (or buck tag as some refer to it) would not be legal to use to tag it even though it is a male; you would need an anterless tag (or doe tag) for it even though it is a young buck.
    John

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Just going over the answers here I would like to add something that may clarify a confusing scenario. When you purchase a deer licence and apply for an antlerless tag for a particular WMU if you are successful in the draw you are only allowed ONE deer. If you have an antlerless tag that one deer can be either a buck or doe. If you hunt in a controlled hunt you are still only allowed one deer. Whether it can be either a doe or buck will be specified on the controlled hunt tag. Hope this helps. TC