Thread: Decrease in North American bird population

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Decrease in North American bird population

Here's an article in which scientists have quantified the decrease in the North American bird population over the last several decades:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/deat...1970-1.4600815

The article is interesting, but I found the last sentence in the following paragraph irritating. It could have been worded so much better and accurately. Just removing the word "even" would have made it more accurate.

"Though the scale of the declines may be staggering, some species -- including raptors and waterfowl -- are actually making gains. That growth is likely thanks to conservation efforts and legislation protecting endangered species. Efforts such as the banning of pesticides and ending raptor hunting have had a measurable impact, said Rosenberg. Even hunters have been involved with efforts to grow populations of certain birds, with the intention of preserving their hobby."

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A backhanded comment that tells you everything you need to know about the author's views. Yes Hunters want to preserve Habitat for Game, but it is that protection and conservation that helps every NON Game Species on the list.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There is a lot of truth in what the author say,s , as we have seen a large decline in many species of birds.
    The author, Johnathan Forani may be a anti hunter [unknown] and this is his way of getting after us hunters ???

This quote from his artIcle " People who care about birds and nature who are not hunters, it’s time for that very large group of people to pay attention, to raise their voices, to try to affect change in society and politically,” he said. “Until that voice is raised as a constituency, it’s really the only way we’re going to make the big changes that have to happen.”

The bolded part though does seem to give hunters some credence.
    Last edited by jaycee; September 20th, 2019 at 10:58 AM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The bird decline coincides with a large decline in biomass of insects as much as 70% in some areas. I've noticed my windshield doesn't get plastered liked it did years ago. As far as hunters are concerned, we have done more than our share to help, wood ducks or wild turkey would be good examples. If the bobwhite quail is to be saved in Ontario, it will be hunters who make it happen.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Since this post appeared, I have spoken with several people about the subject, it is very surprising to say the least, that many of them were not even aware of what has been going on and their lack of concern about the loss of certain species of birds and other wildlife.

I suppose they are too busily engrossed in their own daily lives to really see or realize what is going on all around them .

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well feral cats seem to doing their part with taking upwards of 3.7 billion birds in the USA. I am sure us hunters can help in this situation,its to bad about the lazy owners who abandon their cats in the wild and "others" who think its a good idea to keep feeding feral cats.