Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alberta cop euthanizes injured doe ... by running it over

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

When a person has never done it before, there's a lot of "what if's" going through their mind. Cap it with a .22, someone would yell not enough, cap it with a .12, somebody would say the opposite. Then there's the surroundings, ground, houses, people to take into consideration. He did what he did thinking it was the best option at the time.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A shot in the ear with a 9mm service weapon would have done a fine job instead of running the damn thing over. Likely some rook. Honestly,some people's kids...............
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I put cows down with 1 or 2 shots using solid 22 rimfire, doubt if a deer would be any harder to dispatch, I also can't see how a 12 gauge at 2 ft to the head will ricochet.
    Asphalt.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Asphalt.
    You are supposed to know what is behind your target, but you need to think about what your target is as well.

A 22 in the ear is not going to exit the skull, a load of buckshot in the chest is a safe call too.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    You are supposed to know what is behind your target, but you need to think about what your target is as well.

A 22 in the ear is not going to exit the skull, a load of buckshot in the chest is a safe call too.
    Read the article. He didn't have a 22. Doesn't say what 12 g ammo he had.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Read the article. He didn't have a 22. Doesn't say what 12 g ammo he had.
    I read once that some cops carry #5 for doing close quarter kills in built up areas...little chance of ricochet and will put a golf ball hole thru anything up to 8' away.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I wont be too hard on him.

Guns are out in crowded circumstances. He wasnt permitted to use a knife. Bludgeoning is an option I suppose, but is a hell of a lot more personal then driving it over and crushing it. Its not an easy call, even when you are a hunter, especially when people with cameras are standing around watching.

I have worked for employers who said under absolutely no circumstances was I too dispatch an injured animal while on company time, in company uniform or in a company vehicle. I would have faced dismissal had I done so.

On my own, I know what I'd do. But thats not while at work.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Run it over really? One quick shot would have put this animal out quickly and humanely. Saw a cop here in ontario take 6 shots to kill a coon in broad daylight in the open. Not sure how some of these people get a badge!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12