Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trailer lights question

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Trailer lights question

The trailer I got last year with the boat has lights which seems to be sealed with the exception of the big hole where wires go in. As result in my first outing the bulbs inside where broken probably due to contact with the water when they were hot. I now disconnect the light before launching the boat. That issue was resolved but I still don't know the proper way, if the lights should be sealed or open. I could easily seal the holes with silicon but my concern is that if the seal would be compromised somewhere then water will go in and stay there while if the lights are open on the bottom (as now) water easily goes in and out. However still some oxidation inside already occurs. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Last edited by MarkD; July 3rd, 2019 at 03:03 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    The trailer I got last year with the boat has lights which seems to be sealed with the exception of the big hole where wires go in. As result in my first outing the bulbs inside where broken probably due to contact with the water when they were hot. I now disconnect the light before launching the boat. That issue was resolved but I still don't know the proper way, if the lights should be sealed or open. I could easily seal the holes with silicon but my concern is that if the seal would be compromised somewhere then water will go in and stay there while if the lights are open on the bottom (as now) water easily goes in and out. However still some oxidation inside already occurs. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Hot tail light bulbs will pop every time. If they're not unplugged before hand,the brake lights are on while reversing to launch. Cold water and POOF! Supposedly "sealed" units are rarely actually water proof. With lower drain holes (must be clear or condensation results and pops the bulbs anyway) only a small amount of water rises inside the unit. Try it with an inverted pop bottle and you'll see the principle,but,it only works if the upper fixture is sealed properly which they never are after they've been on the trailer for any length of time. Moral of the story----always unplug.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Agree if you are using standard bulbs, first thing you want to do is unplug so they cool down, and last thing is plug in on way out so water has a chance to drain. I switched my lights to LED's now I just leave them connected. I like the LED's better as they are brighter as well.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I see. Thanks!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Trailer lights are voodoo.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I replaced "guide on" poles on either side, then installed the lights on top. Allows you to monitor your lights, at the same time.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I usually check all lights before I go and then stop after 1/2 hour of driving to check everything again. May be reinsurance, but better safe than sorry.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

While living in Victoria, I used to fill my freezer with Pacific coast Salmon fixing trailer lights...you think you have problems here...try it when you dealing with salt water.

Trimmer is right, the design usually only lets a little water in the drainage holes, but the lens cap seal and housing has to water tight. That new liquid plastic Electric tape is a marvel of science I wish was around back then to ensure your wiring harness were watertight.

These new LED style with the 'capsule' enclosed lights have solved the problem.
    Last edited by MikePal; July 4th, 2019 at 06:57 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=blasted_saber;1087051]Trailer lights are voodoo.[/QUOTE

No truer words spoken. I spend 2 full days trying to get the lights on my utility trailer to work. After changing everything out from the connection to the truck to the taillights on the trailer I finally discovered my Chev Silverado has to be in Drive to make the lights work. The neighborhood knew I wasn't happy.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    [QUOTE
    I finally discovered my Chev Silverado has to be in Drive to make the lights work. The neighborhood knew I wasn't happy.
    Huh??? So when driving, the lights are on? When pulling over on the shoulder (or where ever) and putting truck in park, the trailer lights go out?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast