Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Browning A-bolt 12gauge

  1. #1
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default Browning A-bolt 12gauge

    Hey all,new member here,former Ontarian checking in from Alberta.
    I’m hoping given the popularity of shotgun deer hunting in Ontario that somebody can offer up some expertise on the Gen 1 A-bolt 12ga produced from 1995-1999,specifically,what twist rate did the Gen1 models use?
    I know that the Gen2 that was produced from 2011-2015(?) before being discontinued yet again used a 1:28,which was touted as an improvement over the Gen 1 in one old article I read in archives,but I can’t find any info on the gen1 twist,other then it was offered in the 90s either with a fully rifled barrel or smooth bore with a 6” rifled choke.
    Can anybody tell me if the Gen1 models from the 90s used 1:28 or was it 1:35?
    I actually just picked up this gun recently in a gun trade deal and looking to sell it as I don’t really have any use or need for it here in Alberta,big part of why I joined OOD forum actually....not much market for slug guns in Berta with only a 2 week ML/SG antlerless season in Calgary bow zone in December.....other then that can hunt with rifles pretty much everywhere else(minus EDM bow zone) with long seasons and generous big game bag limits beginning Sept 1st thru Nov30 and even into February for late season elk........vs Ontario where most of the south is shotgun only....no brainer where the market for this desirable slug gun is.....but I don’t have enough posts to list in classifieds here yet......and not being certain of the gen1 twist rate was a deal breaker for a pending sale I had in the works from an Ontario buyer on gunnutz.��
    Gun is in excellent,”almost” BNIB/as new condition,other then a light scuff/safe kiss on buttstock,easily 9.5 outta 10,will sell either with or without the 1-4x20 VX2 Loopy currently mounted on it/also in as new condition.
    Both gun and scope were produced 1996 from serial# lookup,doesn’t look like it’s ever hunted a day in its life?
    pics to your text or email for serious enquirers.......$1500 shipped/insured w/scope,$1300 I’ll keep scope and put it on one of my .22s?
    Last edited by Grinr; July 9th, 2019 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Maybe post in the for sale section?? Sounds like the one from CGN website.
    Things that fly turn me on

  4. #3
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Yup and may be out of line price wise.

    Just an FYI - Last ABolt shotgun I bought new three years ago for $1100.

  5. #4
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I read an article that didn't specify the twist rate of the Gen 1, only referred to the faster twist rate of the Gen 2. So makes me think the Gen 1 was 1 in 35 as most of the older slug barrels were with the exception of Ithaca. Some still use it like the savage 12 gauge, however the 20 gauge uses a 1 in 24 twist. My 870 12 gauge was a 1 in 35 but the 20 gauge SX3 I use now is 1 in 28.

  6. #5
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    Yup and may be out of line price wise.

    Just an FYI - Last ABolt shotgun I bought new three years ago for $1100.
    Likely why they kept getting discontinued. Browning priced themselves out of the market, with there only competition in a bolt slug gun was the savage that was little more than half the price that shot just as well if you got one that didn't have issues cycling the second shell in. I looked for a used a-bolt or deerslayer but when you are talking a grand, then I can get the Winchester semi for the same price new and cut out some of the recoil.
    Last edited by cantgetright; July 10th, 2019 at 08:44 AM.

  7. #6
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddy View Post
    Maybe post in the for sale section?? Sounds like the one from CGN website.
    Yes I have same gun listed on CGN.As I mentioned in OP,had an Ontario buyer back out of deal because he insisted on 1:28 and I’m not certain but think this one is 1:35,which imho would probably still be pretty good accuracy with sabots but designed for Foster/Brenneke etc....and I don’t have enough posts for classifieds here yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    Yup and may be out of line price wise.

    Just an FYI - Last ABolt shotgun I bought new three years ago for $1100.
    I’m well aware of what they retailed for new when they were in production.....$1100 is a steal,must have been on clearance(?) as the MSRP was $1200USD+.I’m also aware that they are very sought after in “shotgun only” markets and have increased in value since being discontinued,fetching anywhere from $1500-$2000USD on American auction sites.I figger $1500CDN with a decent scope included isn’t unreasonable ......that said I’m open to negotiation?

    Quote Originally Posted by cantgetright View Post
    I read an article that didn't specify the twist rate of the Gen 1, only referred to the faster twist rate of the Gen 2. So makes me think the Gen 1 was 1 in 35 as most of the older slug barrels were with the exception of Ithaca. Some still use it like the savage 12 gauge, however the 20 gauge uses a 1 in 24 twist. My 870 12 gauge was a 1 in 35 but the 20 gauge SX3 I use now is 1 in 28.
    I think I read the same article,noting the re-introduction with the faster twist.Ive scoured the internet for info last couple weeks because of that,but can’t find any definitive info on the Gen1 twist.......I should probably just call Browning directly?.......and hope that there is somebody there in customer service who has worked there 20+ years and has a steel trap memory,lol

  8. #7
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cantgetright View Post
    Likely why they kept getting discontinued. Browning priced themselves out of the market, with there only competition in a bolt slug gun was the savage that was little more than half the price that shot just as well if you got one that didn't have issues cycling the second shell in. I looked for a used a-bolt or deerslayer but when you are talking a grand, then I can get the Winchester semi for the same price new and cut out some of the recoil.
    That is exactly why they were discontinued twice,with Browning citing slow sales and the Savage catering to the same market at half the price.
    But that said,we’re taking apples to oranges here Savage to Browning....or more like Honda Civic to Corvette,lol
    Nobody thinks twice about paying double for a Browning x-bolt vs a Savage Axis.��
    And if cutting down recoil is your priority vs rifle-like accuracy,then yes,you can buy a nice semi for less,but you are never gonna get the same level of accuracy from a sloppy ol duck gun as you will from a free floated bolt gun built on a time proven action.
    Last edited by Grinr; July 10th, 2019 at 09:24 AM.

  9. #8
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinr View Post

    I’m well aware of what they retailed for new when they were in production.....$1100 is a steal,must have been on clearance(?) as the MSRP was $1200USD+.I’m also aware that they are very sought after in “shotgun only” markets and have increased in value since being discontinued,fetching anywhere from $1500-$2000USD on American auction sites.I figger $1500CDN with a decent scope included isn’t unreasonable ......that said I’m open to negotiation?
    No mine was ordered in when they became available again. Not clearance or marked down. Truth be told I waited a long time lol. I did get a bit of a deal though considering how many guns I buy and try. It wasn’t a huge discount though.

    Funny someone mentioned cycling issues with Savage... my A-bolt extractor failed almost right away.

    I am trying to remember the exact number of Savage 220’s and 210,212 I have owned and the only comment I could make is you have to work the bolt completely. A few of the early savage 220’s had some issues if I remember right but none that I’ve owned.

    Either way good luck finding the right person for this gun as they are certainly out there!

    They are after all scarce as hens teeth.

    And they do shoot well or at least mine did. No better than any 210 or 212 and not as good as a 220 but fit and finish is better.

    Edit - I just found your add - Alberta Big Bore?

    If it is it Has me thinking about it now....

    1 in 35 is no big deal. What is the trigger like?
    Last edited by Big Jack; July 10th, 2019 at 06:24 PM.

  10. #9
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    No,I am not Alberta Big Bore,but I do recognize that handle from Alberta Outdoorman or maybe CGN or both?
    I am grinrgrn (pronounced GrinnerGreen )on CGN and West O’5 (west of the 5th meridian)on AO forum,I have the gun advertised on both.
    The trigger.....hmmmmm,it goes click? Lol
    I honestly haven’t even fired this gun yet so can’t attest to accuracy etc.,I just picked it up a few weeks ago in a trade deal on another gun I was selling but I really have no use for a slug gun in Alberta otherwise I would happily keep it,it is in like new condition aside from small surface scuff on the buttstock.
    Last edited by Grinr; July 14th, 2019 at 11:54 AM.

  11. #10
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Ok I found ABB’s ad......I would match that price

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •