Thread: Lyme test positive

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Lyme test positive

My 9 year old black lab was tested positive for Lyme. He starts 4 weeks of doxycycline antibiotic today. He shows no signs or symptoms, it was detected with blood work for heart worm. Has anybody else had a dog with Lyme and how was the outcome ? His test number was high 117 H.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Our Brittany tested positive this spring 114 on the blood test, after 1 month of antibiotics she is doing fine.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

My dog got Lyme when she was 6. Got her on the meds, and lived to 13 with no negative effects.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Our friend's 6 year old yellow Lab got it. He probably had it for at least 6 months before being diagnosed and getting the doxy antibiotics. He definitely was affected - arthritis-like symptoms, slow getting up or playing, could no longer jump into the car, etc. Elbows were swollen. Listless. He never fully recovered but he's 75% better after a course of the antibiotics. Not sure about dogs but in humans you really never get rid of it if you wait until it's late stage. The bacteria sequesters until you get run down again, then it flares up again.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

and that it is the key in dogs and humans - catch it early
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I'm hoping that is maybe what's wrong with my best buddy. Vet took blood on Friday should know something today. Vet doesn't think so, so most like it is time. Vomiting, not eating much losing weight fast. Drinks normal, and is still very happy, which makes it even more difficult.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    I'm hoping that is maybe what's wrong with my best buddy. Vet took blood on Friday should know something today. Vet doesn't think so, so most like it is time. Vomiting, not eating much losing weight fast. Drinks normal, and is still very happy, which makes it even more difficult.
    Symptoms as you describe can often be caused by the hot humid weather we have been subjected to.
    Hope all turns out well.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Absolutely. This hot, humid weather has my dogs eating half of what they usually do. No air - conditioning in the house. My man wants to cut back on the hydro bill .... $%^&*()
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Blood work came back good, Vet said too good. He figures cancer. He is getting worse almost every day. Have pills for him that has stopped the vomiting and helping him to eat. He doesn't seem to be in pain and still follows me where ever I go and wagging his tail, which makes it hard

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm so sorry to hear that. Never an easy decision.