Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet diameter does not/can not compensate for bullet placement.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    I said the size of the bullit does not determine if the animal will drop with a less than ideal shot.
    So you say size doesn't matter (I'm sure your wife/GF has heard that before ) which of the two in my pic would you take bear hunting with you ?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    So you say size doesn't matter (I'm sure your wife/GF has heard that before ) which of the two in my pic would you take bear hunting with you ?
    My girlfriend said my 10 is big enough...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Nobody is arguing against the effectiveness of Barnes Bullets, However they still load their Dangerous Game Ammunition with their solid round nose homogeneous Barnes Banded Bullets, as does Hornady , Hornady's Dangerous Game Solid (DGS and a few other manufacturers, which according to many sources are the prefered type for dangerous game in Africa.
    Barnes does make a solid copper Dangerous Game round as well.
    https://youtu.be/kDrGnK2hvz8

But Jay my reference to comparing nail to screws is just pointing out that well they both do the same job, the way they do it makes a comparison hard.

You can take a 600 nitro and hit a cape buffalo for a kill. Big heavy but slow with lots of energy.

You can take a 416 Rigby and do the same thing smaller lighter but fast with lots of energy.

Both are worthless if you shoot the bull in the guts, or the butt.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Barnes does make a solid copper Dangerous Game round as well.
    https://youtu.be/kDrGnK2hvz8

But Jay my reference to comparing nail to screws is just pointing out that well they both do the same job, the way they do it makes a comparison hard.

You can take a 600 nitro and hit a cape buffalo for a kill. Big heavy but slow with lots of energy.

You can take a 416 Rigby and do the same thing smaller lighter but fast with lots of energy.

The .416 Rigby is what my friend uses in Africa big fat Round nosed solid bullet at about 2380 ft. per sec. on my Oehler Chrono. this is not exceptionally fast , but packs a wallop, 5100 ft. lbs.
    A .600 nitro express, 900 gr. bullet at 1050 ft.per sec. energy-6840 ft. lbs. but I would not want to shoot it , the .416 Rigby of my friends is enough.

I said that is my other post;
    [COLOR=#000000]Nobody is arguing against the effectiveness of Barnes Bullets, However they still load their Dangerous Game Ammunition with their solid round nose homogeneous Barnes Banded Bullets, as does Hornady , Hornady's Dangerous Game Solid (DGS and a few other manufacturers, which according to many sources are the prefered type for dangerous game in Africa.

Over the years, I have had many phone conversations with Randy Brooks , his wife Connie and their daughter Jessica, I am very familiar with Barnes bullets from way back, their problems and improvements.
    Last edited by jaycee; July 21st, 2019 at 06:43 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Again, if you go back to the original enquiry my answer was that a large, high velocity hit in a less than ideal location will put the animal down. I'm not talking about hitting him in the hind quarters, I'm talking about behind the diaphragm, the hump or low chest cavity. Nothing in hunting or shooting is guaranteed but you can't ignore the hydrostatic damage caused by a fast moving large bullet to surrounding tissue. To not recognize the difference in damage of a .375 H&H hitting at 3510 ft/lbs energy compared to a .270 at 2350 ft/lbs....well, no point in continuing to argue. To put it in context, the 30-30 hits at 1350 ft/lbs at the same range and that cartridge has taken plenty of animals.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I agree. A less than ideal hit will not put an animal down guaranteed, just because it is big and fast. I still agree with the OP, a vital hit with a smaller capable bullit is far better.

SawBill, would you trust your theory against a charging bear, lion, elephant etc., and shoot it in a less than ideal spot and think it will drop?. If you can't see that, then your right there's no sense to argue much further

Member for Life

User Info Menu

( Yes) Barnes does make a solid copper Dangerous Game round as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    The .416 Rigby is what my friend uses in Africa big fat Round nosed solid bullet at about 2380 ft. per sec. on my Oehler Chrono. this is not exceptionally fast , but packs a wallop, 5100 ft. lbs.
    A .600 nitro express, 900 gr. bullet at 1050 ft.per sec. energy-6840 ft. lbs. but I would not want to shoot it , the .416 Rigby of my friends is enough.

I said that is my other post;
    [COLOR=#000000]Nobody is arguing against the effectiveness of Barnes Bullets, However they still load their Dangerous Game Ammunition with their solid round nose homogeneous Barnes Banded Bullets, as does Hornady , Hornady's Dangerous Game Solid (DGS and a few other manufacturers, which according to many sources are the prefered type for dangerous game in Africa.

Over the years, I have had many phone conversations with Randy Brooks , his wife Connie and their daughter Jessica, I am very familiar with Barnes bullets from way back, their problems and improvements.

Ok missing a word..happy?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Look every body is throwing undefined terms around.

Lets define two terms:

Good shot placement....

Bad shot placement......

Lets define those two.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Good shot placement....
    "It depends." On the Animal, distance, bullet type, shooting ability, and even meat retention.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    A less than ideal hit will not put an animal down guaranteed, just because it is big and fast.
    NOT true...a missed heart shot that hits the front shoulder will drop a deer if the bullet has enough energy to blow thru the bone.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast