Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gun Collection

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default The Gun Collection

In the past couple of years I have befriended a few guys that are in their late 70's and /80ís that have really impressive and extensive personal gun collections. Hidden away in the bowels of their homes these guns are shared occasionally with their friends, but otherwise go unseen and unused.

A few times the conversation has gone to what will eventually happen with them.

Most of these guys donít have family members that are interested in owning the collections, so a few have developed plans for the executors to sent them to a reputable Auction house for dispersal.

So Iím curios, what are your guys realistic plans to dispense or dispose of your gun collections.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Make sure my son and or niece have their PAL. Ensure they go to them.

Failing that, identify an organization like Delta Waterfowl, and donate to them to be auctioned off or sold to provide conservation funds.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have liquidated the firearms (restricted) I no longer use leaving 2 shotguns and four rifles that are used all the time. I've left them to friends and family members from the hunting camp,specifically,that I know would continue to use and appreciate the gifts.
    When I was younger,I blew half a fortune on whisky and wild women. The rest I just wasted.
    Capt.Jonathan Hillstrand ​F/V Time Bandit

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    I have liquidated the firearms (restricted) I no longer use leaving 2 shotguns and four rifles that are used all the time. I've left them to friends and family members from the hunting camp,specifically,that I know would continue to use and appreciate the gifts.
    Therein lies my dilemma. I do not have an extensive, nor expensive collection, but I have several that belonged to my father and grandfather. What to do? No children of my own. No niece's or nephews even closely interested so that leaves only a few options? I have a cousin who's son might be interested, but they haven't bothered with me for 30 years. And would he even be respectful of the heritage factor?
    There is one person that comes to mind however. There's a young man locally here that impresses me. He's a real go-getter! Bought himself an excavator, then a dump truck. He's a hard worker and a good, down to earth, respectful young man trying to make a life for him and his family. He's also a shooter and collector. I've had him do a few small jobs for me at my cabin and we've had several discussions about hunting, guns n such.
    Though he isn't family, I think he would appreciate where the guns came from? I'll have to mention this to my wife and let her know my thoughts on this.

Good thread MP!
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The person you are gifting them to does not have to have a PAL right away, it takes time to liquidate an estate and the Executor can keep the estate open to give time for someone to get a license. I did not get my RPAL until after my grandpa passed away and they kept the estate open until I was able to get all the ducks lined up. The executor takes on the license that the deceased had for the purpose of possession and transfer.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

God willing my kids will appreciate my collection, and will want it. Otherwise i will likely donate, find someone who would appreciate them or liquidate them. I collect for myself if my kids see value in them other than cash value all the better

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Therein lies my dilemma. I do not have an extensive, nor expensive collection, but I have several that belonged to my father and grandfather. What to do? No children of my own. No niece's or nephews even closely interested so that leaves only a few options? I have a cousin who's son might be interested, but they haven't bothered with me for 30 years. And would he even be respectful of the heritage factor?
    There is one person that comes to mind however. There's a young man locally here that impresses me. He's a real go-getter! Bought himself an excavator, then a dump truck. He's a hard worker and a good, down to earth, respectful young man trying to make a life for him and his family. He's also a shooter and collector. I've had him do a few small jobs for me at my cabin and we've had several discussions about hunting, guns n such.
    Though he isn't family, I think he would appreciate where the guns came from? I'll have to mention this to my wife and let her know my thoughts on this.

Good thread MP!
    That is the way to go, even if you had kids, if they would not respect and appreciate them then why give the guns to them.

I have a cousin who was asking what all the guns were worth when grandpa passed, I can tell you that I did not care at all what they were worth but rather the stories that went along with them. Good thing too, 2 of them cost more to get up and running than they are worth repaired, a pretty horrible investment.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

The last few years I've sold off the guns that sit in the safe and get oiled more than used. I have all the guns I want and will ever need. No kids of my own and no other family members younger that have any interest in guns. My woman has 2 daughters that have no interest in me or make any attempt to create any kind of relation. Nothing of mine will be going their way what so ever. Being the age I am now life decisions are much easier with little to no second thoughts. My younger brother will be given all my assets, everything when I go.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Another option is to have it set up for a reputable auction company to pick up and sell the guns. If they have any value, this would go to the estate.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JMatthews View Post
    Another option is to have it set up for a reputable auction company to pick up and sell the guns. If they have any value, this would go to the estate.
    If you can line up sales ahead of time though you can save a lot of loses with an auction house though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast