Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught hunting on my property.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Caught hunting on my property.

Well caught him red handed hunting on my property. Actually 4 of them. Well 3 now.

Attachment 38654

They got in once and somehow the chickens managed to defend themselves. I'm guessing they all scrambled into the coop and started flapping their wings and beat them away. The Guineas in the run probably made such a racket as well scaring them off. I re-enforced the bottom with 11 gauge mesh 1 inch holes 18 inches high. I have big rubber mats going along the wall inside to help prevent them from easily digging under to the inside. Around the outside are a bunch 4x4 and 6x6 making it difficult to dig close to the wall. Last week they first figured out how to open the doors, so I shoved the fork and shovel into the ground braced against the door, they figured that out last night. I noticed the had dug out the shovel something must have spooked them off as it was completely dug out all they needed to do was tip it over and push the lever down. I think the small coon got in under the small gap under the door as I saw one video where it appeared to go under the door, I fixed that now to. The door has a board going across it now to. I'm headed north on Wednesday I hope the chickens survive. I don't have a live trap. but I was thinking taking a large barrel filling it with water and putting a piece of Styrofoam on it sprinkled with dirt and then a can of tuna with a board running up to it.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They are persistent GW...I took out the first one, but they keep coming. I had killed one every night for 4 nights before they stopped.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I wish I could use my 22 but my property is to small. Crossbow is an option but only if I am pointed in the right direction.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I wish I could use my 22 but my property is to small. Crossbow is an option but only if I am pointed in the right direction.
    You want to borrow an Air Rifle? .22 to the head and it's lights out.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    You want to borrow an Air Rifle? .22 to the head and it's lights out.
    Not with 22 shorts, let alone an air rifle. I've had them bounce off the coons head before and some still traveled a fair piece off the property. I only found what was left weeks later. Not saying a high powered .22 air rifle won't do the job but I wouldn't count on it.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Let alone if there's enough light to shoot. Check your pm, I have the answer for you.

Cheers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    Not with 22 shorts, let alone an air rifle. I've had them bounce off the coons head before and some still traveled a fair piece off the property. I only found what was left weeks later. Not saying a high powered .22 air rifle won't do the job but I wouldn't count on it.
    Just to be sure of what your saying here.
    You have seen .22 shorts "bounce" off a raccoon's head with no effect?
    .22 shorts will punch through things that are a lot tougher then a Raccoons head.

How it's done....

https://youtu.be/9JNt_CrI8k0

I can almost bet you have used or seen these types used.

https://youtu.be/6DU5u0nKeBM
    Last edited by Snowwalker; July 28th, 2019 at 08:55 PM.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    I have shot this year 4 coons using .22 cb shorts [ 710 fps.] at between 40 and 50 yards, drop dead on the spot.
    This was done in broad daylight, they were wandering around falling over, most likely had distemper.

My neighbor across the road has gotten 5 in and around their barn using the same quiet ammo.
    Last edited by jaycee; July 29th, 2019 at 11:21 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Didn't have time tonight to do anything so at this point I have to hope for the best and look for breaks in the system.
    Luckily nothing showed on the camera and nothing has been touched so they took a break. Hopefully my improvements will hold them off until I get back on, leaving Wednesday back Monday.

My wife will make sure they have water and they have a 7 day supply of food and she can always give them more, but she is not going to be able to stop the coons from finding weakness. I have 2 more spots to re-enforce tomorrow, somehow they missed them. Don't want to loose these chicks I have, spent the spring/summer raising heritage hens.

I have some good PM's of suggestions and I could always use Quiets but that's still illegal so I can't.

As long as they can survive 7 more days. Then I have some time to take care of things properly.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    I have shot this year 4 coons using .22 cb shorts [ 710 fps.] at between 40 and 50 yards, drop dead on the spot.
    This was done in broad daylight, they were wandering around falling over, most likely had distemper.

My neighbor across the road has gotten 5 in and around their barn using the same quiet ammo.
    I have shot many myself with shorts so I can speak from experience. My comment was in response to snowwalker's "lights out" . Sure often they drop in their tracks or don't go too far, but they can also travel a fair piece before expiring. All were head shots, maybe my rounds were too old or maybe there was shooter error from having to rush a shot and it was a carom... don't matter, they still died.

Good shootin' btw. I'm not sure what that sickness is but I saw it up close last year when a bud up the road gave me a call one evening. He had one wandering around the house and garage area in the middle of the day barely even able to walk. It was in real bad shape when I went over, the short did it's work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast