Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cottontails Dying

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointer View Post
    I've had 10-12 cottontails die in my backyard this year. However in all cases the cause of death was beagle
    Ya had 1 go on me. Couple of kits been teasing the dogs all summer in the back yard too. Much to my dismay the youngster caught 1 bought to hand and managed to release it mostly unharmed however Stella broke ranks and the one she caught didn't make it . Normally they just show a passing interest in them guess though if you poke the bear long enough all bets are off. May have to do a bit of rabbit breaking again this fall .
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

No dead ones here , which is amazing considering the JRT is always on the watch for them.

I had a once in a life time rabbit encounter last week. I saw 4 baby rabbits , in my garden , nursing on Mom. I had seen them several weeks earlier naked in a well - insulated hole. I dug out the hole thinking something had left a mess in my garden , and bingo! there they were. Covered it up fast and was glad to see they survived.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Always been tempted to live trap a pile of big jacks and release down at the local fenced dog park, on the small dog side.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Here in Newmarket there seems to be a cottontail population explosion happening this year.
    My GSP is always pointing at them or barking at them or looking for them, but he hasn't actually killed any since last December.
    It is always a sad event to see any animals dead for no good reason, but it is possibly just a "Circle of Life" thing...

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Check around their necks for puncture wounds.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Couliewalker View Post
    Check around their necks for puncture wounds.
    Macy just breaks their neck. Grabs them behind the head, holds the body down and shakes her head side to side. She has a soft mouth and never puts a hole anywhere.

I think she learned her technique from hunting mice and voles with the cat in the yard.

She also will point and howl when she sees a skunk, but will not get near it.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12