Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trolling with larger 4 stroke?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I have a 20ft jon with etec 90hp. I don't troll with it, I personally think it to hard on a big engine to idle that long. I have a 4hp kicker and an ultra on the front. If trolling in lake will use both at same time, that way I can steer with the electric. I had a 16ft starcraft before this with a merc 4 stroke 60hp. I tried to troll with it, but it would foul up after a bit and I would have to power up for a bit before I could troll again.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Is it slow enough for lakers & salmon? I usually bottom bounce with electric for pickerel.
    Yes it is a big heavy boat.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

My Lund 1775 Impact trolls allright with the 115 fourstroke but I opted to mount the 9.9 pro kicker on it as i have more control of the speed especially if i want to slow down. I also have a trollmaster attached to the kicker for optimum control.
    I also like the fact that it saves hours on the big motor and the 9.9 uses hardly any gas.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    I’m thinking of upgrading my 16ft Sylvan with 40hp motor. Looking at 17ft range with @90hp. Wondering if a 4 stroke motor that size is suitable to troll with? Would like to not add a smaller kicker. Would do a bit of salmon and lake trout fishing as well as General rec boating.
    Terry,
    I have the same boat - Explorer SC with a EFI 40HP. In idle I am going too fast for a bottom bouncer (unless I am on the Detroit River) and usually just use my trolling motor - I have two trolling motor batteries in parallel for just this reason.

I have used a trolling sock which works for speed and control well but is a pain to use as it is way out the back of the boat.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    Terry,
    I have the same boat - Explorer SC with a EFI 40HP. In idle I am going too fast for a bottom bouncer (unless I am on the Detroit River) and usually just use my trolling motor - I have two trolling motor batteries in parallel for just this reason.

I have used a trolling sock which works for speed and control well but is a pain to use as it is way out the back of the boat.
    We use 2 drift bags, tied to the bow n stern, run them closer to the stern, on both sides of the boat, if you want to pick up n move, leave them tied on, just pick up the tail ends of them, bring them on board, then deploy them when you get to your next spot

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

We got a kick down switch added to ours brings it down 150 RPM for trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I used to troll with a 115 no problem but then I got a 200 and that was a problem. I had to throw a bucket in the water to slow it down enough which actually worked quite well but eventually bought a 9.9 kicker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12