Thread: Outfitter/Canvas Tent

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Outfitter/Canvas Tent

Hey All!

Looking for some feed back for outfitter tents. I do a lot of camping and I知 looking to upgrade to a better setup.

Ive done some research but I知 looking for feedback, from people who have used these style tents.

Anyone have recommendations? I知 looking for something for cold temperatures and can withstand snow. I looked into the Cabela痴 series but I also read some terrible reviews...

thanks in advance

(price range $1000-$3000)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I used what we called prospector tents extensively while fire fighting over the years then later on for moose hunting. I've lived in them for months on end. They're usually heavy, require a ton of maintenance and a lot of forethought in the setup. I say that because usually they're set up for extended trips at least a week in duration. They're available in difference gauges of canvas which will affect the over all weight. You can rig them for a wood stove but be prepared to have some burn holes in the roof over time. Of course you're going to get that with nylon too. You really should plan on using a fly to reduce condensation so that's another item to haul. The ones we used had no floor so there's another item you might want.
    But like the tradition of a canvas covered canoe you'll never experience a more down to earth hunt when using these things. The big cost for that is the overall inconvenience of canvas.
    Last edited by sawbill; August 9th, 2019 at 07:46 PM.