Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Semi auto rifle for hunting ...?

  1. #21
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I've been a bolt rifle and pump shotgun gun fan since forever,but,last year,I drew the short straw for dogging. I swapped rifles with a buddy,a Remington 742 .308 carbine with synthetic stocks and open sights that handled beautifully while trekking the woods and hill tops. On the third day we headed to the range for some target practice where I put half a box of shells through it. It was smooth as silk and very accurate. If I ever find another for a decent price,I'll scoop it.
    When I was younger,I blew half a fortune on whisky and wild women. The rest I just wasted.
    Capt.Jonathan Hillstrand ​F/V Time Bandit

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #22
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    I've been a bolt rifle and pump shotgun gun fan since forever,but,last year,I drew the short straw for dogging. I swapped rifles with a buddy,a Remington 742 .308 carbine with synthetic stocks and open sights that handled beautifully while trekking the woods and hill tops. On the third day we headed to the range for some target practice where I put half a box of shells through it. It was smooth as silk and very accurate. If I ever find another for a decent price,I'll scoop it.
    So you did not shoot the gun before using it?

  4. #23
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    So you did not shoot the gun before using it?
    You bet!! I've used it before from the previous owner before buddy bought it. I should have scooped it when I had the chance. Missed opportunity....
    When I was younger,I blew half a fortune on whisky and wild women. The rest I just wasted.
    Capt.Jonathan Hillstrand ​F/V Time Bandit

  5. #24
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinr View Post
    I’ve always been a pump guy,be it deer or waterfowl,I learned early on that I could empty my pump 12ga almost as fast as my partner’s semis,and would say more accurately as well,more ducks with less wasted shells......so when I was shopping for my first big game rifle as a teenager,I bought a Remi pump in 30-06 and never looked back,I’ve owned 3 of them over the last 33 years along with many other rifles,but there will always be a 7600 in my gun safe.
    Back in the day,the Remi semis were known to be jammers,I think it was the 742B maybe that was the lemon?
    The new 750 Woodsmasters are sexy,as are BARs of any vintage,if I was gonna buy a semi it would be one of those two,leaning towards the BAR.......but I’ve got no real burning desire to buy a semi,got enough rifles as it is gathering dust.
    Check out TradexCanada,they usually have a few used BARs for sale on the website and great prices as a rule.......I “was” tempted to buy a BAR in .300WM from them a few months ago just because it was a good deal,lol....but can’t really justify it,
    I think it was the 740 Woodsmaster that had the Jam master nickname...
    The thing with semi’s that I’ve seen, was trying to chamber the first round quietly. Lots of times the actions were not locked. I hunted with a guy that missed a huge buck for that very reason. Got to let them slam shut !!

    edit: Woodsmaster, not Gamemaster..
    Last edited by rick_iles; August 27th, 2019 at 11:42 AM.

  6. #25
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    I think it was the 740 Gamemaster that had the Jam master nickname...
    The thing with semi’s that I’ve seen, was trying to chamber the first round quietly. Lots of times the actions were not locked. I hunted with a guy that missed a huge buck for that very reason. Got to let them slam shut !!
    Your absolutely right about that. Try and close the action quietly by hand and the results are always the same ,"click". I cant count how many people I've spoke to that have had the exact problems, so they sell their gun thinking the gun is crap...lol

  7. #26
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    You bet!! I've used it before from the previous owner before buddy bought it. I should have scooped it when I had the chance. Missed opportunity....
    Cool, sorry, I know of guys who borrowed a gun and were told it was "dead on at 100 yards", they never shot it and barely knew how to load it. Makes me shake my head.

  8. #27
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    I think it was the 740 Woodsmaster that had the Jam master nickname...
    The thing with semi’s that I’ve seen, was trying to chamber the first round quietly. Lots of times the actions were not locked. I hunted with a guy that missed a huge buck for that very reason. Got to let them slam shut !!

    edit: Woodsmaster, not Gamemaster..
    That's where Remington got their nickname " Remjamatics "

  9. #28
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    That's where Remington got their nickname " Remjamatics "
    A name created from Fudds that couldn't figure out how to use their own gun...

  10. #29
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Never had any problems with my 742. Shot my first buck with it many years ago. Camp gun now. Hard to beat the Verney Carron.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Deer Hunter

  11. #30
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The problem with some hunters is they try to "be gentle" with their firearms and that's when they get into trouble. These units were built for tough use. Ejectors won't eject,pumps won't pump,semi-autos and bolts won't wrack without inertia.
    When I was younger,I blew half a fortune on whisky and wild women. The rest I just wasted.
    Capt.Jonathan Hillstrand ​F/V Time Bandit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •