Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ontario Proposes a New and Improved Moose Management Program

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Ontario Proposes a New and Improved Moose Management Program

Found this posted today. Lets see if this "big game management advisory committee" listened to moose hunters, made things easier, simpler and actually looked at moose management vs just hunting opportunities only because without proper moose management there will be no hunting opportunities! Enjoy, grab some popcorn and let the chaos begin!

News release -> https://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2019/...t-program.html

EBR Posting -> https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-04...183.1553090828

[COLOR=#464646]The Ontario government is taking action to address concerns from hunters on how the province manages its moose population to ensure sustainability and hunting opportunities for future generations.
    [COLOR=#464646]Today, John Yakabuski, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry, and Mike Harris, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry, announced the government's proposal to revise moose management in the province, based on the recommendations of the Big Game Management Advisory Committee (BGMAC). In Spring 2019, the government tasked BGMAC to advise the province on a path forward. The committee has provided its report to the government, which is now available on ontario.ca/moose-management-review.
    [COLOR=#464646]"We are listening to moose hunters across the province, and our proposal is designed to work for the hunting community," said Minister Yakabuski. "I encourage Ontario's hunters to review the proposal and consider its implications on moose populations and future hunting opportunities. I would like to thank BGMAC and the committee's Chair, John Kaplanis, for their dedication and insight on strengthening moose management in Ontario."
    [COLOR=#464646]The government's proposal is now available on the Environmental Registry of Ontario for public feedback. An additional proposal to address the committee's recommendation regarding moose predation has also been posted for comment. Interested hunters, members of the public and organizations are invited to review the proposals on the Environmental Registry and provide their comments by September 26, 2019.
    [COLOR=#464646]"Our government recognizes the importance of moose hunting to Ontario families and communities," said MPP Harris. "We want to make sure Ontarians can get outdoors and enjoy the sport of hunting, and that these opportunities are available today and long into the future."
    Quick Facts

• Moose hunting contributes over $205 million a year to Ontario’s economy.
    • The BGMAC committee includes members with diverse knowledge and experience in moose management and quota review, moose hunting, tourist outfitter operations, and experience on wildlife advisory committees.
    • BGMAC hosted seven listening sessions in May and June, 2019. Over 600 interested hunters, members of the public and organizations attended these sessions to share their perspectives to develop a path forward. Over 2,000 individuals provided comments through an online survey.
    • A summary of input received is contained in BGMAC’s report, available on ontario.ca/moose-management-review.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

More licenses less tags, but more draws to enter( more fees?) for moose.

No tags needed for Coyotes or wolves in Northern WMU's, tags still needed except is SOUTHERN Ontario. Hunters still limited to two wolves/coyotes.
    Net sum...no impact on wolves, no decrease in predation levels on moose.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    More licenses less tags, but more draws to enter( more fees?) for moose.

No tags needed for Coyotes or wolves in Northern WMU's, tags still needed except is SOUTHERN Ontario. Hunters still limited to two wolves/coyotes.
    Net sum...no impact on wolves, no decrease in predation levels on moose.
    Would you mind indicating where have you noticed that will be more licences and less tags. I've noticed that it says " New selective approach" ( does that mean less tags ?). Or maybe you're referring to the fact that all applicants will no longer have a default calf tag ?
    Last edited by biflora; August 12th, 2019 at 03:08 PM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I'm still skeptical. More smoke and mirrors because government realizes how much money they have lost in the last few years since guys aren't applying to moose hunt like they used to. No moose is no moose. Although there is a lot I like about the preference point system. But the calf hunt should be cut out.
    Last edited by cantgetright; August 12th, 2019 at 04:03 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by biflora View Post
    Would you mind indicating where have you noticed that will be more licences and less tags. I've noticed that it says " New selective approach" ( does that mean less tags ?). Or maybe you're referring to the fact that all applicants will no longer have a default calf tag ?
    They're proposing selling Moose licenses without a tag,so,more hunters can party hunt in a party of up to 10 hunters on one tag. Quite clearly,the number of license sales nearly collapsed after hunters realized there wasn't a hope in hell of getting an adult tag in the draw. They OMNRF is also proposing a nominal fee for applying and charging a "tiered" fee for successful draw applicants according to whichever adult tag they drew with Bull tags the most expensive,Cow tags,next and calf tags the least,although,there's no mention,at this point,how much each tag will actually cost. My guess is the cost of adult tags will greatly increase.
    Last edited by trimmer21; August 12th, 2019 at 07:02 PM.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Getting rid of wolf tags is a good step. Granted, only two wolves can be taken. Hopefully, this will result in more wolves shot. With the tag necessity, guys that did get a shot at one, and didn’t have a tag, didn’t shoot. I know that has happened in our group.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Getting rid of wolf tags is a good step. Granted, only two wolves can be taken. Hopefully, this will result in more wolves shot. With the tag necessity, guys that did get a shot at one, and didn’t have a tag, didn’t shoot. I know that has happened in our group.
    I was kind of hoping they'd see the light and cancel the no wolf/coyote hunting townships around Algonquin Park and southern Ontario around The Peterborough Crown Game Preserve and Kawartha Highlands PP for that "Algonquin Wolf" BS. That had to be one of the dumbest decisions to placate the bunny huggers I've ever seen.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    I was kind of hoping they'd see the light and cancel the no wolf/coyote hunting townships around Algonquin Park and southern Ontario around The Peterborough Crown Game Preserve and Kawartha Highlands PP for that "Algonquin Wolf" BS. That had to be one of the dumbest decisions to placate the bunny huggers I've ever seen.
    I agree....but I don’t see that happening any time soon. They feel the need to protect those mutt coywolves !!
    Last edited by rick_iles; August 12th, 2019 at 08:15 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    They're proposing selling Moose licenses without a tag,so,more hunters can party hunt in a party of up to 10 hunters on one tag. Quite clearly,the number of license sales nearly collapsed after hunters realized there wasn't a hope in hell of getting an adult tag in the draw. They OMNRF is also proposing a nominal fee for applying and charging a "tiered" fee for successful draw applicants according to whichever adult tag they drew with Bull tags the most expensive,Cow tags,next and calf tags the least,although,there's no mention,at this point,how much each tag will actually cost. My guess is the cost of adult tags will greatly increase.
    Selling licences without tags is pretty much what’s happening now. We had 10, P1 guys and didn’t get a tag..
    The nominal fee to enter the draw is what BC has now. If they luck out and get a draw, they then buy a licence. I think this will cut revenue substantially. As far as the increase costs of an adult tag, I don’t see a problem there. I didn’t see a lot of recommendations put forward regarding unregulated non-licenced harvest !! It will be interesting to see what changes are actually made.
    I’ve already sent in my two cents !!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Selling licences without tags is pretty much what’s happening now. We had 10, P1 guys and didn’t get a tag..
    The nominal fee to enter the draw is what BC has now. If they luck out and get a draw, they then buy a licence. I think this will cut revenue substantially. As far as the increase costs of an adult tag, I don’t see a problem there. I didn’t see a lot of recommendations put forward regarding unregulated non-licenced harvest !! It will be interesting to see what changes are actually made.
    I’ve already sent in my two cents !!
    With selling licenses without a tag,thousands of Moose hunters have given up completely resulting in ZERO revenue. This past year alone saw a 50% drop in sales (this from a confidential informant). It sent a powerful message that people aren't going to pay money for nothing,anymore. It really got the governments attention. On the surface,it looks like they went in to a bit of a panic mode,hence,the pay for an app,then,if a tag is drawn,pay for it,then. A little revenue initially,then,more revenue when tags are paid for is a lot bunch better than NO revenue and for most,permanently. It makes perfect sense. I think it's a far more fair and even system. Full disclosure,it's one of the proposals I made with last years survey,so,I'm glad to see it. I sure hope it works.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast