Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ontario Proposes a New and Improved Moose Management Program

Elite Member

User Info Menu

There’ a piece about identifying your party on your licence summary and you can be part of 3 different parties. Sounds a bit complicated for guys up north who like to mix and match almost daily especially in the latter part of the season.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    Every decision any gov't makes ensures that, they the gov't, get their piece of the pie. Follow the money and you'll see where this is going. The MNR should not be politically directed. Only then can the MNR begin to manage for the resource. First and foremost it should be about the moose! Not about licence sales, not about spin off cash, not about sustenance rights, etc etc. The welfare of the moose should be the only factor. This new proposal still allows for cows to be shot and calves to be orphaned for future wolf predation. Moose are also being eradicated/sacrificed in 5 or 6 units in an effort to help the caribou. Meanwhile the Michopicoten Island mismanagement is only 1 yr. old. We've been hoodwinked for so fricken long how the hell can you trust anything coming from the MNR that always seems to have hidden agendas.

Put a bounty on wolves province wide, increase bear to 2 tags per licence, and stop cow/calf hunt for 3 years.
    I guess this is too simple for them to comprehend!
    They're answer is workshops, EBR's, and micromanaging the systems they implemented that they said would work years ago when we got the current system. WTF? WTF?

This new system will be the greatest ever devised...and every year there will be tweaks and micromanagement until they dream up something else. History does repeat itself!
    Well said!

I fully support changes to support moose hunt-AND to save the moose.Finally Ford tries something,alas not what the moose needs.
    This proposal is far from managing the moose.Again,every single step is how to manage licensed Hunters(and get good bucks while doing it).

Managing hunters: set quotas,collect points,pay as you go program(to entice more $)set a system where more hunters will try to hunt-whole bunch of paying customer in a party after-the SINGLE moose.
    Managing moose : decrease bear and wolf predation by all available means ,eliminate calf hunt,control non regulated harvest,improve habitat,CLOSE moose hunt for all ,for 3-5 years(please do not kill me for this one...........)decrease deer numbers where moose gets illness from brain worm,set up effective tick control.

Would this all cost a pretty $ -yes.
    Would this be the only viable solution to save all accessible moose in Ontario-most likely.
    Last edited by gbk; August 13th, 2019 at 03:45 PM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Well said!

I fully support changes to support moose hunt-AND to save the moose.Finally Ford tries something,alas not what the moose needs.
    This proposal is far from managing the moose.Again,every single step is how to manage licensed Hunters(and get good bucks while doing it).

Managing hunters: set quotas,collect points,pay as you go program(to entice more $)set a system where more hunters will try to hunt-whole bunch of paying customer in a party after-the SINGLE moose.
    Managing moose : decrease bear and wolf predation by all available means ,eliminate calf hunt,control non regulated harvest,improve habitat,CLOSE moose hunt for all ,for 3-5 years(please do not kill me for this one...........)decrease deer numbers where moose gets illness from brain worm,set up effective tick control.

Would this all cost a pretty $ -yes.
    Would this be the only viable solution to save all accessible moose in Ontario-most likely.
    One more observation I noticed. I've followed and made submissions to various EBRs. When the rubber finally hits the road there's many EBR suggestions that are dropped and a whole bunch of stuff added to the new laws that just seemed to appear out of thin air. Where the frig did those come from. Seems as though there's some hot topics that they just know will cause a stir. So they don't mention them but sneak them through. I have lost all faith in those SOBs because for all the education and diplomas they have - I have a bag of hammers in the garage that's smarter then most of them.

Why not suspend cow/calves 3 yrs. Bounty the wolves so northern trappers can get them in check and issue extra bear tags across the board to residents in all WMUs where moose are found. Also give up on this caribou resurgence at the expense of dwindling moose. This is way too easy and would only require one or two MNR employees. But they got whole departments of thumb twiddlers and violin payers named Nero that need to justify their jobs.

Also suspend spraying of millions of acres with glyphos. How can any ungulate live in that type of environment.

Too many predators, no food, and mismanagement! And the wish list is increase the herd. Gimmy a break!

It will take something monumental before I would ever trust anything they do!
    Last edited by SK33T3R; August 14th, 2019 at 09:15 PM.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Good to see the point system introduced. It's been in use in the US western states where there has been a high demand for tags for decades.

I'd suggested that to the MNR almost 20 years ago, along with reference material to how several states run their draws.

To say MNR moves at a glacial pace is being to generous.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

We gave it up 17 years ago when our group 9 could no longer get a tag, yet other groups would get 2 or 3 tags applying as individuals. Between outfitter and individual tags they ditched certain group size guarantee, but everyone in the province got a calf tag?... It became every man for himself tag system. Hopefully they can figure it out for you future hunters.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    We gave it up 17 years ago when our group 9 could no longer get a tag, yet other groups would get 2 or 3 tags applying as individuals. Between outfitter and individual tags they ditched certain group size guarantee, but everyone in the province got a calf tag?... It became every man for himself tag system. Hopefully they can figure it out for you future hunters.
    I am afraid they will not .Many years ago the current system was introduced to increase moose numbers.Claiming this system works in Scandinavia.It does there-but what ELSE was copied from the system in Sweden?
    Nothing.
    They have far less bears,far less wolves,far more agricultural land abutting moose habitat-which helps with food issue.Then they have next to non existent caribou reintroduction" never will work "plan,next to no Non regulated harvest,no brain worm ,and very well controlled population numbers.
    The plan they will introduce will yield the same.
    It is like-My neighbor makes good pizza-so ,what does he uses-dough and pizza sauce.The rest-why bother with pepperoni,mozzarella,oregano,olives,ham,Parmesan,Y ou name it.............pizza is pizza,is it not????

If i am a new hunter,starting to hunt moose,the worst investment for me would be to gear up for moose hunt(tent,ATV,boat-You name it).
    Last edited by gbk; August 15th, 2019 at 05:33 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    I am afraid they will not .Many years ago the current system was introduced to increase moose numbers.Claiming this system works in Scandinavia.It does there-but what ELSE was copied from the system in Sweden?
    Nothing.
    They have far less bears,far less wolves,far more agricultural land abutting moose habitat-which helps with food issue.Then they have next to non existent caribou reintroduction" never will work "plan,next to no Non regulated harvest,no brain worm ,and very well controlled population numbers.
    The plan they will introduce will yield the same.
    It is like-My neighbor makes good pizza-so ,what does he uses-dough and pizza sauce.The rest-why bother with pepperoni,mozzarella,oregano,olives,ham,Parmesan,Y ou name it.............pizza is pizza,is it not????

If i am a new hunter,starting to hunt moose,the worst investment for me would be to gear up for moose hunt(tent,ATV,boat-You name it).
    Gearing up for moose( or just hunting) were I grew up, involved buying a rifle, a backpack and a canoe. Gearing up for fishing involved buying a rod, a backpack( wait got one) and a canoe ( still got one). Gearing up in general seems to have been a lot cheaper, and you got one BULL moose tag per person.

You shot ONLY Bull moose, NO cows. NO calves.

Oh yes we had bear tags too....It was "How MANY do you want? "
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

i hope they end up fixing all this, id love to go on a moose hunt in the future.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Good to see the point system introduced. It's been in use in the US western states where there has been a high demand for tags for decades.
    Go to any Western U.S. hunting forums and most guys that have been around long enough will tell you the point system isn't the way to go. Go read up on point creep. Guys with 20+ years of points invested with no hope of ever drawing.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-wanShinobi View Post
    Go to any Western U.S. hunting forums and most guys that have been around long enough will tell you the point system isn't the way to go. Go read up on point creep. Guys with 20+ years of points invested with no hope of ever drawing.
    You raise a good point ( no pun intended). Units where there are presently no guaranteed group sizes will require 15+ points for a tag. Going forward, many older hunters will only get 1 tag in their lifetime. The MNRF will count on these hunters hooking up with others who get tags. Will mean people sitting out because of caps on group sizes.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast