Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing near Thornbury, Collingwood Area

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by S&H CanOutdoors View Post
    My advice is go out and buy a separate rod for salmon or steelhead. As Iím sure youíre going to fall in love with the early mornings, hard fights and several lost fish. Lol To me catching steelhead on the pin is the best type of fishing.
    Going with an okuma reel and a fairly heavy long rod 6-8 or 8-10# rating will be perfect for you to get out and get into some serious river fishing.
    My biggest advice is make friends with some of the more avid old anglers if you can and try to get them to teach you proper river etiquette. Oh and check your regs!! Tight LinesAttachment 38772
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look i to getting a new rod for sure. It's certainly always a good idea to talk to the more experienced anglers out there. Tight lines!

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

First of all >>> I am absolutely TERRIBLE at catching trout and salmon in rivers!!!

That aside, I used to have a ritual of driving to Thornbury, then Meaford, then Owen Sound, then back to Meaford to finish the day.
    On a handful of those trips, over the course of 25 ~ 30 years, I actually caught something! The "something" was sometimes suckers!!!
    I have never owned anything other than spinning reels, but I am not so sure if that has anything to do with my limited success.
    I mean if I caught a decent fish one day using what I used, what would be different later that same day or on different days of different years?

I caught one or two on orange coloured sponged, and sometimes I would dip it in tuna oil.
    I caught a good one on a simple green spoon, nothing added.
    I tried everything you can imagine, from lures to worms, but I simply SUCK at it.

Please pay attention to S&H CanOutdoors said before >>> CHECK THE REGS.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I want to go out and see if I can catch anything. I don't expect to, though. This is great advice. I will keep it in mind. Seems like you can catch them on just about anything. Tight lines!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    First of all >>> I am absolutely TERRIBLE at catching trout and salmon in rivers!!!

That aside, I used to have a ritual of driving to Thornbury, then Meaford, then Owen Sound, then back to Meaford to finish the day.
    On a handful of those trips, over the course of 25 ~ 30 years, I actually caught something! The "something" was sometimes suckers!!!
    I have never owned anything other than spinning reels, but I am not so sure if that has anything to do with my limited success.
    I mean if I caught a decent fish one day using what I used, what would be different later that same day or on different days of different years?

I caught one or two on orange coloured sponged, and sometimes I would dip it in tuna oil.
    I caught a good one on a simple green spoon, nothing added.
    I tried everything you can imagine, from lures to worms, but I simply SUCK at it.

Please pay attention to S&H CanOutdoors said before >>> CHECK THE REGS.
    I want to go out and see if I can catch anything. I don't expect to, though. This is great advice. I will keep it in mind. Seems like you can catch them on just about anything. Tight lines!

And I will be sure to check the regs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12