Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing near Thornbury, Collingwood Area

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Fishing near Thornbury, Collingwood Area

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has any tips at all about where/how to fish in the Thornbury/Collingwood area. I have tried quite a few spots already, but I haven't had any be good enough to return to. If anyone has any shore access places they would share it would be much appreciated. I will share what I have tried below.

Collingwood Harbour
    Very small Largemouth Bass and Rock Bass. Saw a nice sizes Largemouth swimming near the shore, but it wasn't interested in anything

Black Ash Creek closer to the bay
    Nothing, not even a bite on many lures and even live worms

Beaver River from shore in fairly shallow area with deep pools
    Small Rock Bass

As you can see, I haven't found a good spot or I am doing something wrong. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

wait a few weeks
    The salmon ans Rainbow Trout will be starting their fall migrations and start moving into the river mouth areas.
    There will be better shore fishing ahead.
    ------------------------------------------
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHYBAK View Post
    wait a few weeks
    The salmon ans Rainbow Trout will be starting their fall migrations and start moving into the river mouth areas.
    I wholeheartedly second Rhybak's advices.

I haven't fished Thornbury in 25 years+, but I do remember some CRAZY times up there drift fishing and sometimes casting spinners for the occasional bow and those monster chinooks!

I've heard that this is still an incredible fishery and might just head up this Fall...

Just starting out

User Info Menu

wait a few weeks
    Thanks for the advice. I don't usually go for trout or salmon so it would be nice to try for them. I always see tons of people at the mouth of the Beaver River in Thornbury right before the fish ladder, but that place is so crowded I don't really want to fish there. Would further up the Beaver also be a good idea? Or is that illegal to fish past the ladder? Thanks a lot.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy-Seeker View Post
    I wholeheartedly second Rhybak's advices.

I haven't fished Thornbury in 25 years+, but I do remember some CRAZY times up there drift fishing and sometimes casting spinners for the occasional bow and those monster chinooks!

I've heard that this is still an incredible fishery and might just head up this Fall...
    I definitely see TONS of people fishing for salmon and they are huge. I always see them with a fly rod though it looks like they are just fishing with a float like they are using a spinning rod. Since I don't own a fly rod, I have always not tried fishing there. I would like to get some trout in the quieter places in the river though, so I will have to scout some places out. If you have the equipment, I'm sure it would be awesome to get a big salmon right at the mouth of the Beaver where everyone is.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG1 View Post
    I definitely see TONS of people fishing for salmon and they are huge. I always see them with a fly rod though it looks like they are just fishing with a float like they are using a spinning rod. Since I don't own a fly rod, I have always not tried fishing there. I would like to get some trout in the quieter places in the river though, so I will have to scout some places out. If you have the equipment, I'm sure it would be awesome to get a big salmon right at the mouth of the Beaver where everyone is.

Hey, AdamG1, I think that you're seeing centrepin reels as opposed to fly-fishing setups - they do look similar and there isn't too much room to fly-fish in most of the river.

You also don't need to go crazy on centrepin reels and 10' float fishing rods in order to catch the salmon there (although, it CERTAINLY doesn't hurt!). I've caught quite a few monster chinook on a 7' or 8' spinning rod with a decent spinning reel - just make sure that you're properly rigged up. I've also caught them on everything from roe sacks to beads to soft plastic swimbaits on a jighead to mepps/panther martin spinners to gummy bears! It all depends on the conditions and the mood of the fish.

As for the feeling of hooking into one of those monster salmon, you're right, there is nothing like it! Absolute beasts!

Best of luck.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

AdamG1

You would have to check fishing season regulations for the upper part of the river.
    I would suggest you go 20 minutes west to Meaford and scout out the Bighead now and to the end of December.
    Just sit and observe and learn if you have to.
    Right in town, off the wall.

Lots of people just set up rod holders and bottom fish for Rainbows, Whitefish and Salmon.
    It's a good fishery.
    Summers are kind of dead.
    Spring and Fall rock.
    ------------------------------------------
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Just starting out

User Info Menu

AdamG1

You would have to check fishing season regulations for the upper part of the river.
    I would suggest you go 20 minutes west to Meaford and scout out the Bighead now and to the end of December.
    Just sit and observe and learn if you have to.
    Right in town, off the wall.

Lots of people just set up rod holders and bottom fish for Rainbows, Whitefish and Salmon.
    It's a good fishery.
    Summers are kind of dead.
    Spring and Fall rock.
    Thank you for this great advice. I will check that spot out in a couple weeks. Will they be swimming upstream soon? Also, is there a specific thing to throw you recommend? I am hoping to use an ultra light rod if I'm going for rainbow. The salmon may be something that comes later.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy-Seeker View Post
    Hey, AdamG1, I think that you're seeing centrepin reels as opposed to fly-fishing setups - they do look similar and there isn't too much room to fly-fish in most of the river.

You also don't need to go crazy on centrepin reels and 10' float fishing rods in order to catch the salmon there (although, it CERTAINLY doesn't hurt!). I've caught quite a few monster chinook on a 7' or 8' spinning rod with a decent spinning reel - just make sure that you're properly rigged up. I've also caught them on everything from roe sacks to beads to soft plastic swimbaits on a jighead to mepps/panther martin spinners to gummy bears! It all depends on the conditions and the mood of the fish.

As for the feeling of hooking into one of those monster salmon, you're right, there is nothing like it! Absolute beasts!

Best of luck.
    You are definitely right. I looked centrepin rods up and that is what I am seeing. They are definitely just float fishing, so I did think it was weird when I though they were using fly rods. Thanks, this is great advise about gear. I'll probably try for some rainbows, but it would be nice to go for some salmon as well. I don't know if my 7ft medium action rod is up for it or not.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG1 View Post
    You are definitely right. I looked centrepin rods up and that is what I am seeing. They are definitely just float fishing, so I did think it was weird when I though they were using fly rods. Thanks, this is great advise about gear. I'll probably try for some rainbows, but it would be nice to go for some salmon as well. I don't know if my 7ft medium action rod is up for it or not.

My advice is go out and buy a separate rod for salmon or steelhead. As I’m sure you’re going to fall in love with the early mornings, hard fights and several lost fish. Lol To me catching steelhead on the pin is the best type of fishing.
    Going with an okuma reel and a fairly heavy long rod 6-8 or 8-10# rating will be perfect for you to get out and get into some serious river fishing.
    My biggest advice is make friends with some of the more avid old anglers if you can and try to get them to teach you proper river etiquette. Oh and check your regs!! Tight Lines7A9E1326-F6EF-49FA-93F5-B47AB3871C82.jpg
    Sam Nicholson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast