Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 caliber or 45?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Never saw rick with 32 cal though
    He used to sell cast:

CAST BLACK POWDER ROUND BALL AND MINIES Round Ball -.312 $.15c each
    But he hasn't updated the web page to reflect if he is selling them swagged now, I was pretty sure I saw them there on Sunday (Dave and I went back).

edit add: I e-mailed Rick,
    Reply:
    Mike; Yes, I have .312RB- $12.00 per 100 in box.
    Last edited by MikePal; September 3rd, 2019 at 07:55 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The good part about it is this crazy internet thing, ha ha, you can find tons of different options but mainly you need to get them shipped and since we do not produce much in this country most has to be imported.
    Let's not forget Precision Rifle Bullets out of Anola, Manitoba. Some of the best ML bullets made and proudly Canadian !!

https://www.prbullet.com

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Let's not forget Precision Rifle Bullets out of Anola, Manitoba. Some of the best ML bullets made and proudly Canadian !!

https://www.prbullet.com
    Shipped through the states, ha ha ha.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Shipped through the states, ha ha ha.
    No, he ships to your Canadian door, if you pay the shipping.

You can get FREE shipping, during on the annual 'on-line' Dec sale if you ship to the states. But..if you call in your order, he has in the past , given the FREE shipping bonus to your Canadian address. He's pretty good when you get him on the phone.

One year he charged my VISA the US price in $$ Canadian..and gave me free shipping to my door. Great Deal !!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

No, he ships to your Canadian door, if you pay the shipping.

You can get FREE shipping, during on the annual 'on-line' Dec sale if you ship to the states. But..if you call in your order, he has in the past , given the FREE shipping bonus to your Canadian address. He's pretty good when you get him on the phone.

One year he charged my VISA the US price in $$ Canadian..and gave me free shipping to my door. Great Deal !!!
    Ya, I know.

Happy with the stuff I have shot so far, need to work up a "load" for that duplex with the 180gr XTP but the look of it smacking that empty propane tank at 100 yards my wife should be good to go on deer.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Oh God, I know, I am learning a lot about it just by touching the surface.

Since I was able to get out and shoot my Kentucky rifle I am so excited for the controlled hunt in December, I am leaving the shotgun at home, will be the 50 cal round ball only, no going to participate in the drives just sit on a runway hoping to catch one 50 yards or closer.

What I meant by "normal" was that by far the large majority shoots 50 cal, pulling numbers out of the sky but probably close to 95% and of those now most are sabot shooters. I remember getting the Cabelas catalog when I was a kid, the one from the states. It had about 50 different bullet types in 45-58 and all conicals, not everything seems to be 50cal and sabot. The good part about it is this crazy internet thing, ha ha, you can find tons of different options but mainly you need to get them shipped and since we do not produce much in this country most has to be imported.
    Fox, all I shoot now is PRB. I tried sabots in my TC Hawken some years ago and after that I could not get it to shoot anything with accuracy. Seems like the plastic sabots messed up the rifling and I could never get it cleaned out. Sold the gun and moved on..........Daniel
    It's not the mountain ahead that wears you out, it's the grain of sand in yer shoe.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I found the opposite Daniel....I couldn't get a satisfactory grouping with my .45 Kentucky using a cloth patch, so I picked up some plastic Poly Patches They work great and give me a much better consistency. I use an bore light before/after I clean and haven't seen any plastic residue.

see: https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...ght=Poly+Patch

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post
    Fox, all I shoot now is PRB. I tried sabots in my TC Hawken some years ago and after that I could not get it to shoot anything with accuracy. Seems like the plastic sabots messed up the rifling and I could never get it cleaned out. Sold the gun and moved on..........Daniel
    What was the twist on that Hawken? I had a friend with one that had a 1 in 32 twist I think, not a conical twist and not a sabot twist, he did well with the great plains bullets but sabots were crap.

Mine are twisted for what round ball and sabot, 1 is 1 in 66 and 1 is 1 in 28, it would be interesting to try a conical in the 1 in 28 twist gun but it shot the 300gr 44 cal bullets and the 180gr 357 bullets in sabots right out of the box, have not built a load yet but no reason to think they will not be easy deer killers.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I found the opposite Daniel....I couldn't get a satisfactory grouping with my .45 Kentucky using a cloth patch, so I picked up some plastic Poly Patches They work great and give me a much better consistency. I use an bore light before/after I clean and haven't seen any plastic residue.

see: https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...ght=Poly+Patch
    Using cloth patch material, is also a matter of trial and error.
    The right thickness of patch material must be found to get good groups, pillow ticking can be found in different thickness,s.

Then again, some muzzle loaders/BP are built with slow twists to shoot only patched balls and will not shoot saboted bullets accurately, to shoot saboted bullets accurately requires a faster twist.
    This is not explained to most buyers by the sales personnel at the stores, why?? perhaps they are not as informed as they let the buyers to believe.
    Last edited by jaycee; September 4th, 2019 at 10:20 AM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post
    Trust me Fox........there is nothing "normal" once you get into flintlocks.....................Daniel
    NOW you tell me..... ah well ... damage is done.

The Traditions have alot of 1:48" rifling and if you want to shoot something specific you might want to look at others experience.
    https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/d...1365523276.pdf

There are a couple of good/bad things about the old smokies....
    1) the cleaning, hot water and a black powder solvent make like better.... but it still takes time and some really hate it.....
    Pro:
    - expected and OK if know that.
    - some REALLY hate cleaning anyway..... the PRO part is for the buyer from said person .... IF you knew how much I paid for my perc. Kentucky crescent stocked 45 (almost long enough to be a Pennsylvania) and flint Hawken in 50 ..... well calling me those names would be impolite . The Hawken obviously hadn't been cleaned but a quick look with the camera showed nothing to worry about. ** See NOTE:
    - alot to learn

Con
    - the time it takes, don't rush, oil it well afterwards too!

2) the "CLICK" without the bang.... no need to say more....

3) the followup shot if needed, especially in a shotgun .... I had a double, missed 1 pheasant .... 6 more came up at half the distance.... no need to say more....

OK, for a new buyer,
    - pick what you want, modern, traditional....
    - purpose... squirrel or moose....
    - pick a price range but if the "someday" firearm shows up for sale .... well your call
    - where to look new .... maybe, just not me! A few starting places.
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/
    https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/muzz...0l9004?dc=true ( I have a list of booked marked searches in a folder, I open a new browser, click open all tabs... blackpowder, flintlock, percussion cap, rifle...make good searches.
    https://mewe.com/ alot there and some descent groups too

** NOTE:
    Got an old phone? Here is an accessory that has come in real handy many times for me and I don't have to worry about the phone I use.. Less than $50 that could save you alot, help you work in a spot you can't see, find something that fell down a gap.... very handy! I was also thinking it might work for ice fishing but hadn't tried it yet and it may not work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEPQ_ZxbJ4Y
    Last edited by mosquito; September 13th, 2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar.... me speaka da english not goot somedays

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12