Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Position

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Whether standing, sitting, or even lying down, one's shooting frame should be unwavering and unchanged. Your shooting frame is like the foundation of a house; everything builds off of it, and your success in shooting depends on it.
    If you are interested, in the video below I discuss the importance of utilizing a solid "T" shape shooting frame and how to use your frame to shoot in different positions, from a tree stand or sitting down. (this is later in the video)
    Now I actually made this video to help compound shooters who are interested in trying out traditional archery, but archery is archery and whether you are shooting a compound bow out of a tree stand, or a tricked out recurve on a 70 meter Olympic line or shooting ducks out of the air with a longbow, the shooting frame is a shooting frame. All archery requires the same fundamental principles. So in other words, sitting, standing, etc., really is no different from one another. It is only different when one collapses their frame. That's when shots are blown.

Also here is a photo of John Schultz who is shootng a longbow laying down on his stomach. For fun I turned the photo upright so that you can see even though he is laying down, his shooting frame is still a solid T shaped form unchanged.

https://imgur.com/pEXqJR8
    https://imgur.com/Lv6MWo9
    Last edited by Jeff Kavanagh; September 5th, 2019 at 07:06 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

All good points on how to shoot, any kind of bow or gun, but it all comes down to the moment when the shot needs to be taken, so practice shooting every way possible, just like throwing a ball, there is a more comfortable position to be in to get that ball to your intended target, but how many times have you seen the play made from an almost impossible position to throw that ball, watch Ron Laclair shoot his trad bow, it doesnt have to be the same anchor point, same stance, same anything, just be ready, and be prepared to take the shot

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    watch Ron Laclair shoot his trad bow, it doesnt have to be the same anchor point, same stance, same anything, just be ready, and be prepared to take the shot
    Yes that is correct, but when starting out and learning, it's easier when you have that foundation to build off of. As one shoots more and becomes more proficient and consistent with their shot sequence, things slowly begin to become more fluid and it becomes easier to take more liberties.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Have you ever watched " Byron Ferguson " shooting a longbow from different contorted positions , in his trick shot shooting exhibitions ?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Have you ever watched " Byron Ferguson " shooting a longbow from different contorted positions , in his trick shot shooting exhibitions ?
    Both Ron LaClair and Byron Ferguson are living legends in the trad community. It's a small community and everybody knows everybody. lol

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kavanagh View Post
    It's a small community and everybody knows everybody. lol
    Coincidentally, just watching Clay Hayes's latest video and caught him mentioning your channel just before the 4min mark. You guys put up some great content

Last edited by LowbanksArcher; September 20th, 2019 at 07:12 AM.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    You guys put up some great content
    Thanks. I haven't put anything up in a little over a couple of years now though.
    My internet here sucks and I got frustrated with it. I don't shoot nearly as much as I was back then either. Lots of other interests.
    Archery barely exists here in Ontario and I was only doing it for my own fun. Others are making it into a business (like Clay and the guys from the Push) but they are located more centrally and I could never afford to travel to the events you need to to make that sort of thing happen.
    My shooting is a bit different too. Most are interested in all the 3D tourneys and stuff like Lancaster. I've always been more interested in knocking ducks out of the air. lol

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I agree with mikepal, you need to practice the shots you may make in the field, so in the stand, on the ground standing, sitting twisted. you should practice all positions you can think of, so when something new comes along you may get it right. This goes for xbow, guns, whatever you shoot.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well, for many many years, I made my own tree stands which only had a small platform for standing, and no seats!
    Shooting my old compound from a sitting position was never an option. Now, I am a crossbow hunter.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kavanagh View Post
    Thanks. I haven't put anything up in a little over a couple of years now though.
    My internet here sucks and I got frustrated with it. I don't shoot nearly as much as I was back then either. Lots of other interests.
    Archery barely exists here in Ontario and I was only doing it for my own fun. Others are making it into a business (like Clay and the guys from the Push) but they are located more centrally and I could never afford to travel to the events you need to to make that sort of thing happen.
    My shooting is a bit different too. Most are interested in all the 3D tourneys and stuff like Lancaster. I've always been more interested in knocking ducks out of the air. lol
    "Archery barely exists here in Ontario". Man is that ever an accurate statement, and I'm sure we could have a lengthy discussion on why that is. As for the events, i'm fortunate to be 3.5hrs from Denton Hill, so i'm able to make that one every year
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast