Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: suzuki eiger 400 2003

Elite Member

User Info Menu

ok shipping screwed my order up so i gotta wait until tomorrow. i got the airbox completely off all the panels and have drained the gas tank. im gunna go grab some oil tomrorow give her a oil change and the petcock comes int he mail as well tomorrow so ill be installing that.

Questions

my air filter doesnt come in until next week, after i change up the petcock and oil change and give her some fresh gas and re install the airbox can i run her with no air filter just to see if the black smoke is gone? i wont be riding it but i would like to see if the petcock made a change?

also is the fuel filter as easy as it seems? cut the tube fit clamp to tube and done?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Unless your air filter is physically damaged, you can just wash it, dry it, oil it and reuse it. You should not run the engine without an air filter.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Unless your air filter is physically damaged, you can just wash it, dry it, oil it and reuse it. You should not run the engine without an air filter.
    ok i ave the old one still if you go scroll up you'll see the condition its in. im not familiar with this stuff so it looks pretty mangled to me.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You can run it without air filter if bike is just sitting to make sure it runs right.

You can wash it with dawn dish soap to clean it. Watch you dont tear it, it its looks like the foam is falling apart I'd replace it as it will suck foam particles in if its wore out.

When you get a new a filter, buy filter oil to coat it, it helps stop small dirt getting in. You can ruin a motor quick with a crappy filter.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bowjob View Post
    ok i ave the old one still if you go scroll up you'll see the condition its in. im not familiar with this stuff so it looks pretty mangled to me.
    Sorry, I had not seen the picture before responding. You could still use that filter if you make sure to use rim grease to prevent any air bypassing the filter, but I agree that you should just replace it - standard filters are not that expensive.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

ok. canada post sucks number 1 thats what i get for getting the free 30 day prime lmfao

, i will have to wait until tomrrow to replace petcock and i will also get the fuel filter tomorrow. i got a new oil filter today as well, i havent drained the oil yet or done a oil change yet. im reading im suppose to put in motorcycle 5W-30 SAE OIL. couldnt find any at canadian tire today. is this right?

1 more question regarding the tubes for the carb. once i get the raptor petcock i have to plug the tube that was originally runing air to the original petcock correct? i also have another im guessing vent tube that is cut on a 45 thats running towards the air box i guess i just leave it where ever? also i seen a little bolt hole on the right side of the airbox that lines up with a part of the frame with a bunch of holes. im guessing this is the secure bolt? i dont think it was on when i got it but it looks like it fits.

so air box has been cleaned of dirt and garbage including the metal grate that had a litttttle blackish gunk on it. i have reinstalled the airbox. waiting to do oil change and change petlock and we will see how she runs with no air filter on idle for a few minutes. i mainly just want to get rid of the black smoke first off and also see if the new petcock works well.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

just a note to all, dont get amazon prime. i had 2 day delivery with amazon prime i sent th eorder out on monday, said it was suppose to be here Wednesday morning nothing, called amazon back, they say my package in on its way yesterday nothing, call them again, they say my package will be here today almost 100% wait nothing. message a REP this morning he said its on the way to my house nothing, now i gotta wait until tomorrow ugh. crappy tire also agve me the wrong oil filter for my atv as well. i gues the higher power in the world doesnt want me to fix this atv LOL

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

You could try Royal Distributing for your needs in the future.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    You could try Royal Distributing for your needs in the future.
    just bookmarked it thanks! ok i got the new petcock on. new oil filter puting new oil in it as we speak and put the fuel filter on. still waiting for air filter, going to start it up today as see how it goes. also ordered some new fuel hoeses ill be putting those in on saturday. i hope the transmission isnt ed up on this thing or ill be pissed.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

ok heres my update.

so, new petcock is on works fine. put a inline fuel filter, new air filter, new oil filter, new oil , new vent hose new fuel hoses new wheel bearings as well nothing to do with the smoke but my front wheels were about to fall over lol. i had it running yesterday, was working fine, black smoke was slowly going away and then it was gone, once the black smoke cleared up was driving it up and down the driveway a few times. put it back into neutral, let it idle for a few minutes and all of a sudden the RPMs in IDLE started to go nuts, i tried turning pilot screw a few half turns but the RPMs were still skyrocketing. it ended up dying out so we started it back up again and fixed the idle and now its back to puffing black smoke more than before. we put a little fuel treatment in the gas tank and my fuel filter is showing little black and red particles now almost like little pieces of paint or plastic.

i havent taken the carb off of it to clean it, my dad doesn't really want me to because weve never done it before but im not scared of it. ive basically figured out everything else about this atv on youtube and forums so why not right. before i take the carb out to clean it ive heard of something called SEAFOAM. should i just drain my gas tank put new nice fuel in there and run SEAFOAM through it and see how that goes before i take the carb apart?

please any input is appreciated, this atv is slowly driving me insane LOL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast