Thread: Peak Moose Rut - Eastern Ontario

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Peak Moose Rut - Eastern Ontario

I was fortunate to pull a bull tag for WMU 63 - the first time I've had an adult moose tag and thus the first time I've really hunted them seriously.

Conventional wisdom has the moose rut in Ontario running from "late September to early October". Obviously I won't be hunting until the season opens later in October - but plan to scout a lot during the "peak" in the hope in seeing/hearing/finding sign of bulls. I've already put in several full scouting days looking for historical sign and likely habitat.

From those with plenty of experience chasing moose in Eastern Ontario/Ottawa Valley, what dates would you consider to be the "peak rut"?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Jesus, you got a bull tag in 63A? Go buy a lottery ticket, wow.

No idea when the bulls would be going into rut but should not be too much later than further north. Your hunt is 6 days, rut or not you have that much time to get out there and find one, you really do not have options.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Yes, I had about 5% odds of pulling this tag. I've already put several 20 plus km days of scouting in and plan on several more, along with some trail cam surveillance in key "hot spots".

The hunt is short at 6 days and due to work circumstances I am only going to be able to hunt about 50% of the time - thus the importance of scouting to maximize my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Jesus, you got a bull tag in 63A? Go buy a lottery ticket, wow.

No idea when the bulls would be going into rut but should not be too much later than further north. Your hunt is 6 days, rut or not you have that much time to get out there and find one, you really do not have options.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckchaser View Post
    Yes, I had about 5% odds of pulling this tag. I've already put several 20 plus km days of scouting in and plan on several more, along with some trail cam surveillance in key "hot spots".

The hunt is short at 6 days and due to work circumstances I am only going to be able to hunt about 50% of the time - thus the importance of scouting to maximize my chances.
    Find good moose sign and get in there before sun up, and start calling just at legal light. Bulls will still be on the prowl. Younger bulls will come to call, usually quietly so keep your eyes open ! I have called in a lot more moose in the early morning, than afternoon hunts. A lot of the time, they don’t get to me until 9 or 10 am.
    If you call in a spot and don’t get any action, call from the same area the next day. I’ve had them come in during the night and lay down. My first call gets them on their feet.
    Good luck !!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Good for you. If I were you, I think I would be starting to feel ill. By the time season opens I'd be really sick and not able to work

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Like Rick_Isles said get in there early before sun up and call at legal time in the areas you find good sign.
    just because you don't see any moose doesn't mean there isn't any around.
    I have taken big bulls middle to late October with cow calls and bull grunts.
    Depending on the area not all cows come into heat the same time and not all the bulls get to mate you just never know unless you try.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your hunt.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckchaser View Post

I would be out all 6 days if I were you. It's only work, you may never draw that tag again. No amount of scouting will ever make up for time in the field. Good Luck and hope you find a good bull.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I hear you. But my employer turned down my request for unpaid leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-wanShinobi View Post
    I would be out all 6 days if I were you. It's only work, you may never draw that tag again. No amount of scouting will ever make up for time in the field. Good Luck and hope you find a good bull.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

The rut will mostly be over by the time the season hits, but there will still be some activity. Mostly younger bulls. Good luck.