Thread: WMU Questions / Non-Resident

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default WMU Questions / Non-Resident

Hi,

I've had limited success looking for these answers in the regulations handbook, so I'll give it a shot on here.

#1 -- Where can I find which WMU's require a guide for Non-Rez deer? ( I am mainly searching info for units 7,7A,8,9A,&9B)

#2 -- Are the Units used mainly for antlerless draw purposes? As an example, I didn't enter any antlerless draw, So with a buck only license could I cross boundaries from unit to unit? OR say I choose
    WMU9A, would all of my hunting need to take place with in its boundaries?

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

The non resident guide requirement is for WMU’s that fall within the judicial district of Rainy River. (We don’t have counties in this part of the province.) A quick check of the WMU map indicates that it is only units 9B, 10, 11ABC, and 12B. You don’t need a guide in units 7A or 7B, but there are non-resident camping restrictions along many road networks.

The units boundaries do impact the antlerless draw, but also affect the open season dates, and additional deer tags (when available).

Your interest in hunting NW Ontario is about 10 years too late. Our deer herds have really declined and last winter has pretty hard. There’s deer around, but they have disappeared completely in some areas,

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    The non resident guide requirement is for WMU’s that fall within the judicial district of Rainy River. (We don’t have counties in this part of the province.) A quick check of the WMU map indicates that it is only units 9B, 10, 11ABC, and 12B. You don’t need a guide in units 7A or 7B, but there are non-resident camping restrictions along many road networks.

The units boundaries do impact the antlerless draw, but also affect the open season dates, and additional deer tags (when available).

Your interest in hunting NW Ontario is about 10 years too late. Our deer herds have really declined and last winter has pretty hard. There’s deer around, but they have disappeared completely in some areas,
    What Sam said .... to answer you second question, a buck only tag is good for any WMU that has a NR season. Check the seasons in the WMU you want to hunt. I know the NR season in 7b, where our camp is, closes earlier that the R season.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Yes, I have heard that the numbers are down. The last time I've hunted there was in the late 1990's near Nestor Falls. So actually when I come back this time it will probably be more of a research mission with a gun in my hand.